none
PowerBI - Refresh data in Excel WebApp - How does PowerBI know to use "Cloud Access enabled" data source when refreshing the spreadsheet data?

Question

• How does the data source connection defined in the excel spreadsheet map to the "Cloud Access enabled" data source defined in PowerBI "Manage Data" settings?

How and when does it do this and what is it matching on? Database name, Server name?

Detailed information:
    I have an Office365 PowerBI Preview site in which I uploaded a new spreadsheet with a PowerPivot datasource connecting to a SQL Server database. I then setup the "Data Management Gateway" and "Data Source" in the Manage Data settings within PowerBI and the Excel spreadsheet now refreshed data within the Excel web app. Awesome, really just amazing stuff. I want to know how the magic works? :-)

Thanks,
    Beau

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:15 AM

Answers

• My understanding is that right now, the refresh process (the gateway) looks for a data connection with the same properties as that of the connection created with Power Pivot, and then uses it with the credentials that it has been provided with.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when Power Query sources are supported, but I'm keen to find out.

Cheers

John

• Marked as answer by Beau Holland__ Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:59 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 5:33 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that right now, the refresh process (the gateway) looks for a data connection with the same properties as that of the connection created with Power Pivot, and then uses it with the credentials that it has been provided with.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when Power Query sources are supported, but I'm keen to find out.

Cheers

John

• Marked as answer by Beau Holland__ Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:59 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Power BI check the connection string properties and matches them with the one defined in the Power BI Admin Center, in the data sources tab, more information could be found here. Another important step is to make sure that the This user/group will have access to the on-premises data source and will be able to refresh the workbook in SharePoint Online. This is configured on the users and groups page.

All the best,

Yitzhak

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:52 AM