none
Offline Files / Documents redirection problem

Question

• Hello,

We have major issues regarding Folder Redirection GPO and particularly, "Move contents of the Documents to the new location" setting enabled.

Our setup:

2008R2 DCs, fileservers
    Windows 7 SP1 workstations

Corporate Users OU has GPO applied which redirects user documents to
    path: \\SERVER1\Shares\User\%USERNAME%\Documents

Grant user exclusive rights to Documents: Disabled
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location: Enabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems: Disabled
    Policy Removal Behavior: Leave contents

Moved Users OU has second GPO applied which redirects user documents to
    path: \\SERVER2\Shares\User\%USERNAME%\Documents

Grant user exclusive rights to Documents: Disabled
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location: Enabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems: Disabled
    Policy Removal Behavior: Leave contents

When user object is moved to "Moved Users OU" and receives a new GPO, contents of the Documents starts to move to SERVER2. I can see Documents folder been created automatically on SERVER2 to correct path and folder starts to populating with files.

Then, user disconnects from the network before underlying file move operation has been finished (maybe 50% of files have been transferred at this point to Documents folder on SERVER2)

On these users workstations, I can see from Operational Log/Offline Files that computer has transitioned to slow-link mode because of greater latency than 80ms.

Next time when user logs on via fast LAN connection, file move operation is still halted and no further files are moved from SERVER1 to SERVER2 and
    Event Viewer Application Log keeps repeating this error:

".
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection" Guid="{7D7B0C39-93F6-4100-BD96-4DDA859652C5}" />
        <EventID>502</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-06-13T07:57:35.893562200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1026</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{89E0DEDB-E2D2-4A0C-8F84-410B21E4B0AF}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="848" ThreadID="2168" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>CON-CLI1.contoso.com</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1996624644-2373869285-2745988323-1109" />
      </System>
      <EventData Name="EVENT_FDEPLOY_FailedToApplyPolicy">
        <Data Name="FromFolder">Documents</Data>
        <Data Name="ToFolder">\\CON-SRV1\Shares\Users\user1\Documents</Data>
        <Data Name="Options">0x80001001</Data>
        <Data Name="Error">Failed to redirect because the destination directory "\\SERVER2\Shares\Users\user1\Documents" is offline</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorDetails">The network path was not found.
    </Data>

No more files are automatically moved to Documents folder on SERVER2 and user is unable to access half of his documents offline!

Only resolution I have found so far, is to reset CSC cache from workstation. This initiates move operation again.

I now have several users complaining that they're unable to access their files offline. I simple cannot reset CSC cache from all these users.

I believe only way to go, is to NOT use "Move contents..." option, but instead Documents folders from source to destination server with robocopy etc, because if network connection is disrupted, move operation is halted and is never resumed.

This issue typically arises with remote users with several GB's of data in Documents folder. I have few users with much less data and they have been successfully migrated using this concept.

MS does not describe how to troubleshoot issues when this option is used. Please help!

Friday, June 14, 2013 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

that question is better asked in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by cguan Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:59 AM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 17, 2013 8:38 AM
  • The issue mostly is related to the option "Move the contents of Documents to the new location", as the checkbox is enabled user will try to access source location and move redirected folders to destination location.

In my opinion, the box should be checked only when folder redirection policy applies for the first time, namely folders are moved from local profile to network share, if network location changes, suggest to manually copy folders if needed and uncheck the box.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782799(v=WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Diana

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 17, 2013 9:57 AM
  • As documented. Visist grouppolicy.biz - Alan has an article about data loss with Folder redirection, and this article links to a MS KB article that Points out this behaviour. AFAIR at least ;-)

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Hi Weedee,

Any further questions?

Regards,

Diana

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Hi Weedee,

Any further questions?

Regards,

Diana

Yes. How do I finish ongoing move operations of my users Documents?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:54 AM
  • I suggest copy the Documents folders using robocopy, and uncheck the option "Move the contents of Documents to the new location" in this GPO.

/copyall syntax in Robocopy can copy files with security permission, audit permission, timestamp, owner information and data.

Regards,

Diana

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hello Diana,

Did I got this right, that use of "Move contents of the Documents to the new location" option in Folder Redirection GPO is not supported method to move user's Documents folder to other server when Documents folder is already redirected to other server? So you should use this option only to move data from Documents folder to server when Documents is still pointed under user profile in Local disk of workstation?

Only reason I opted to use this setting is that I noticed that if user has unsynchronized files (files modified/created in offline mode in Documents client-side cache, those files are vanished when Documents folder is redirected from Path A -> Path B.

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Do you have any insight what causes the Folder Redirection error on Event Log on some of my clients? I'm referring to error in top of this thread. User is able to access and create files on this new UNC path.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Folder redirection GPO supports to move user's Documents from one UNC path to another UNC path, in usual, we manually copy the Documents to new location and then uncheck "Move contents of the Documents to the new location".

About the error message, it appears to be a network issue, or is related to CSC. Please make sure the UNC path is always available when the group policy applies, and temporarily disable offline files.

Best Regards,

Diana 

Friday, July 05, 2013 9:48 AM