none
Should I install SCOM into a new or shared instance of SQL?

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to work out the best approach for installing SCOM in my Lab.

I have a Server that is currently hosting a default instance of SQL and is configured for use with SCCM 2012 R2.

I was thinking about installing SCOM into the same instance, but in practise what would be the best option?

I will be running SCCM, DPM, and SCOM in my lab and all of them need SSRS and their own databases.

Do you think that I should create a new instance for each of them and keep all of the resources separate?

Thanks

Friday, June 20, 2014 11:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is hard question when it comes to LAB environments. In production environment i would always recommend a dedicated SQL server, and if that's not posible a named instance.

There are some reason for this±

• You can assign memory to the named instanced which is dedicated;
    • There can be some extra requirements for the Temp DB configuration;
    • If you want to run reporting for SCOM you need a dedicated instance for this, so you can place it on this one too.

Hope this helps,

Marthijn.

Friday, June 20, 2014 11:27 AM
  • For a lab, shared is fine, as long as the environment is small and you are not trying to replicate production so as to test configuration changes.  While this is still a possibility, you will have to take into account that your lab does not mimic production, so you might see different behavior if you take changes from the lab to prod.  Of course, we know budgets are tight, so even our labs are not 100% matching to prod, but we make due with what we have.

For the long term, you might want to plan to have a dedicated instance of SQL for SCOM, but if that's not a possibility, and the lab is small, as Marthijin says, you should be ok.

I have a vm lab set up with SC 2012 R2 Private Cloud and everything is using a shared instance of SQL.  It all seems to work ok.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

Friday, June 20, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Agree with Blake You can use same instance for SCCM and SCOM for Lab and Testing. But take care that Reporting services won't operate for both SCCM and SCOM. It will be work for one of it.

For more info., You check below link

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/sql-instances-and-system-center-2012-sysctr-sql-scom-sccm-scsm/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is hard question when it comes to LAB environments. In production environment i would always recommend a dedicated SQL server, and if that's not posible a named instance.

There are some reason for this±

• You can assign memory to the named instanced which is dedicated;
    • There can be some extra requirements for the Temp DB configuration;
    • If you want to run reporting for SCOM you need a dedicated instance for this, so you can place it on this one too.

Hope this helps,

Marthijn.

Friday, June 20, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

This is a lab and i'm running it on VM's,

I could create a new virtual server to host the SCOM DB? Which is essentially what you are saying, but from a VM perspective.

Or I could just create a separate instance on my SQL Host Server for the purpose of my lab. 

Option 2 might be better for me, because if reduces the amount of machines in my setup.

But for production purposed you would recommend using a dedicated Physical Server for the SQL SCOM DB host?

Thanks

Friday, June 20, 2014 3:10 PM
  • For a lab, shared is fine, as long as the environment is small and you are not trying to replicate production so as to test configuration changes.  While this is still a possibility, you will have to take into account that your lab does not mimic production, so you might see different behavior if you take changes from the lab to prod.  Of course, we know budgets are tight, so even our labs are not 100% matching to prod, but we make due with what we have.

For the long term, you might want to plan to have a dedicated instance of SQL for SCOM, but if that's not a possibility, and the lab is small, as Marthijin says, you should be ok.

I have a vm lab set up with SC 2012 R2 Private Cloud and everything is using a shared instance of SQL.  It all seems to work ok.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/ If my response was helpful, please mark it as so, if it answered your question, then please also mark it accordingly. Thank you.

Friday, June 20, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Agree with Blake You can use same instance for SCCM and SCOM for Lab and Testing. But take care that Reporting services won't operate for both SCCM and SCOM. It will be work for one of it.

For more info., You check below link

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/sql-instances-and-system-center-2012-sysctr-sql-scom-sccm-scsm/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog: Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:16 AM
  • I don't mind creating another instance of SQL on my DB Server for SCOM.  

At least it will mean that I can use reporting.

What I am trying to achieve is getting everything to a minimum.

I only have a couple of test vm workstations, and I want to keep the DB Server down as much as possible.

It's currently using around 2.5GB of RAM with the SCCM Database.

And, I don't really want to create new DB Server for use with SCOM in my LAB.

I'm going to have to think about things.

Because I have SCCM, DPM and SCOM in my lab setup. So something is going to have to share, unless I create a separate instance for each of them on the same box.

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:53 PM
  • You can do that.  I have one instance hosting most of the SC stuff.  I think SCCM has it's own instance, but everything else is under the default instance.

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:55 PM