none
'Virtual Machine hncrecord2' failed to start.

Question

• Good afternoon:

This vm will start just fine with a single vhdx connected to IDE 0,0.  Connecting a second vhdx to IDE 1,1 will succeed in the Settings window, but fail upon boot.  The vm does not have a dvd/cd drive attached.

An error occurred for resource Virtual Machine hncrecord2

Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine hncrecord2' of type 'Virtual Machine' in clustered role 'hncrecord2' failed. The error code was '0x80004005' ('Unspecified error').

Based on the failure policies for the resource and role, the cluster service may try to bring the resource online on this node or move the group to another node of the cluster and then restart it.  Check the resource and group state using Failover Cluster Manager or the Get-ClusterResource Windows PowerShell cmdlet.

'Virtual Machine hncrecord2' failed to start.

'hncrecord2' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID C93A8FE7-6E39-4A4C-9CCC-71F6B04FF0FB)

'hncrecord2' Microsoft Emulated IDE Controller (Instance ID 83F8638B-8DCA-4152-9EDA-2CA8B33039B4): Failed to Power on with Error 'The requested resource is in use.' (0x800700AA). (Virtual machine ID C93A8FE7-6E39-4A4C-9CCC-71F6B04FF0FB)

'hncrecord2': Failed to open attachment 'C:\ClusterStorage\volume8\ccscreens\ccscreens.vhdx'. Error: 'The requested resource is in use.' (0x800700AA). (Virtual machine ID C93A8FE7-6E39-4A4C-9CCC-71F6B04FF0FB)

'hncrecord2': Failed to open attachment 'C:\ClusterStorage\volume8\ccscreens\ccscreens.vhdx'. Error: 'The requested resource is in use.' (0x800700AA). (Virtual machine ID C93A8FE7-6E39-4A4C-9CCC-71F6B04FF0FB)

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

• I found a solution for the issue "'The requested resource is in use.' "  Since the vhdx files were not yet in production, I offlined them in the FCM CSV view and also in my storage management console.  This seemed to have released any reservation.  I onlined each in the reverse manner and then was able to add the vhdx files to each vm.  Each vm booted and had the drives available.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:35 PM

All replies

• Sounds like some other VM or something is using your second VHDX.

Was it mounted to something else?  Is it not in the same shared storage location as the VM?  AV?

Are you editing the VM in Hyper-V Manager or in Failover Clustering Manager?

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:50 PM
  • "Sounds like some other VM or something is using your second VHDX."

I agree completely.  Just can't seem to track down the culprit.

"Was it mounted to something else?  Is it not in the same shared storage location as the VM?  AV?"

This is a new installation and new disk, so it was not mounted previously.  It definitely is in the same CSV group, but not on the same cluster disk as the OS of the target vm for performance reasons.  We use Sophos AV with on-demand scanning turned off.

"Are you editing the VM in Hyper-V Manager or in Failover Clustering Manager?"

FCM

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I found this and starting to test moving storage around but it's anyone's guess who the owner node was during the initial attachment.

"A reserved LUN refuses communication with any HBA except for the one that
    reserved it. This behavior guards against multiple nodes writing to the volume
    at the same time and potentially corrupting data."

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:03 PM
  • I found a solution for the issue "'The requested resource is in use.' "  Since the vhdx files were not yet in production, I offlined them in the FCM CSV view and also in my storage management console.  This seemed to have released any reservation.  I onlined each in the reverse manner and then was able to add the vhdx files to each vm.  Each vm booted and had the drives available.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:35 PM