none
MDT 2012 custom WIM deployment issue

Question

• Hi all

Recently setup a MDT 2012 server and imported a custom WIM. When deploying this via a bootable USB drive everything works fine except the PC loads into W7 and stays on the desktop.

It installs the OS, reboots, joins domain and logs on but then is left logged on also leaving the folders _smstasksequence, minint and also the ltibootstap.vbs on the root of C drive so it isn't completing final tasks. Also locale settings are still US when I wanted them to be UK as per below.

My customsettings.ini is below

[Settings] Priority=Default Properties=MyCustomProperty [Default] OSInstall=YES SkipAdminPassword=YES AdminPassword=******** SkipApplications=YES SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES SkipBDDWelcome=YES SkipBitLocker=YES SkipCapture=YES SkipComputerName=NO SkipComputerBackup=YES SkipDeploymentType=YES DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER SkipDomainMembership=YES JoinDomain=*domain* DomainAdmin=*admin account*

DomainAdminDomain=*domain* DomainAdminPassword=********* SkipFinalSummary=YES SkipLocaleSelection=YES KeyboardLocale=0809:00000809 UserLocale=0809:00000809 UILanguage=0809:00000809 SkipPackageDisplay=YES SkipProductKey=YES SkipSummary=YES SkipTaskSequence=NO SkipTimeZone=YES TimeZoneName=GMT Standard Time SkipUserData=Yes

Also my bootstrap.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\server\DeploymentShare$
    userdomain=*domain*
    userID=*admin account*
    userPassword=*password*
    SkipBDDWelcome=Yes

I also have the bdd.log and smsts.log files from the PC that the deployment was attempted on. Ideally i am looking for it to set all the settings as per customsettings.ini and then remove the install folders from c drive and then log off so PC is ready to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:40 PM

All replies

• use the FINISHACTION= property in customsettings.ini.  You can set it to REBOOT, LOGOFF, etc.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:39 PM
  • use the FINISHACTION= property in customsettings.ini.  You can set it to REBOOT, LOGOFF, etc.

Thanks for this will look at that tomorrow - there is a reboot command in the TS as part of the post install which normally works as part of process but will add this as well.

Looking further at logs it seems to stick after joining domain and doesn't complete the TS (not sure if your suggestion will take affect but will test tomorrow) and so still autologin's with folders on c drive.

Last log in the BDD.log is "LTI initiating task sequence-requested reboot." doesn't move from there.

I am going to check any policies on the default computers OU container as read it could be that.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Did you use a custom Unattend.xml?  It sounds like it did the reboot from WinPE after laying down the WIM, but didn't restart the LTI... do you have this in your Unattend.xml?

<FirstLogonCommands>
            <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
              <CommandLine>wscript.exe %SystemDrive%\LTIBootstrap.vbs</CommandLine>
              <Description>Lite Touch new OS</Description>
              <Order>1</Order>
            </SynchronousCommand>
          </FirstLogonCommands>

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Did you use a custom Unattend.xml?  It sounds like it did the reboot from WinPE after laying down the WIM, but didn't restart the LTI... do you have this in your Unattend.xml?

<FirstLogonCommands>
            <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
              <CommandLine>wscript.exe %SystemDrive%\LTIBootstrap.vbs</CommandLine>
              <Description>Lite Touch new OS</Description>
              <Order>1</Order>
            </SynchronousCommand>
          </FirstLogonCommands>

Hi David

No I don't have a custom unattend.xml - I have only edited the customsettings.ini as to above.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:35 AM
  • If you could spot verify that the LTIBootstrap.vbs is still in your Unattend.xml, that can eliminate that.  Also, you said you had the logs, please post both to a cloud storage and provide the link so we can review.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:58 PM
  • If you could spot verify that the LTIBootstrap.vbs is still in your Unattend.xml, that can eliminate that.  Also, you said you had the logs, please post both to a cloud storage and provide the link so we can review.

Hi David

Sorry for delay - Yes this is in the unattend.xml file.

I have uploaded the BDD.log http://www.filedropper.com/bdd - unfortunately a colleague in trying to help troubleshoot manually ran the lticleanup.wsf left under c:\minint so note in logs that I attempted a fresh deployment again on same PC on 01/07 but on 02/07 the logs start again.

The change can be seen below:

<![LOG[Event 41017 sent: LTI initiating task sequence-requested reboot.]LOG]!><time="12:07:44.000+000" date="07-01-2013" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

<![LOG[Property start is now = ]LOG]!><time="11:05:19.000+000" date="07-02-2013" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Thanks

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:00 PM