none
Server 2012 Hyper-V storage and file sharing

Question

• Good Afternoon,

I have a single physical server running windows 2012 server standard (named ABCSERVER) with Hyper-v Role and 2 Standard 2012 VM's (ABCSERVER3 and ABCSERVER4). the Physical server has Disk 0 as a 1TB Raid 10 Volume with 3 separate Volumes on it. C:\ host OS (ABCSERVER) E:\ Data Storage G:\ virtual Storage (VHD's).

Due to Microsoft License restrictions, I have to remove all roles except for Hyper-V Manager from ABCSERVER so as to not consume one of the 2 Standard 2012 licenses I am entitled to with my purchase of Server 2012 Standard. (I am already using 2 licenses for my 2 VM's ABCSERVER3 and ABCSERVER4). 

My question is: what is the best way to share user data to end users on my Host machine without using the file sharing capabilities of ABCSERVER?

Thank You in advance

--Drahnrebj

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:15 PM

All replies

• If you're still using the host for more than just a Hyper-V host, you're not meeting the licensing restrictions.  Also, this isn't a recommended scenario.

The best solution would be to use one of the VMs for file sharing.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:13 AM
  • Thank you, how would I use one of my existing VMs to Share drive space that exists on the physical hosts 1TB volume?

would I somehow map it to the virtual machine, and if so what tool/protocol should I use? I just don't know how to share a volume inside the VM that resides on the Physical host yet.

--

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:54 PM