none
SCM 3 Group setting name limited character?

Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm trying to add in a setting to allow RDP session for a MDT default GPO with the following path

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Session Host\ Connections\ “Allow users to connect remotely using Remote Desktop Services”

However there is a limited number of characters i can use for the Setting Groups name ( the maximum character is up to Windows Component) and it don't seem to appear in the list after i created 1.

I can still see it when i wanted to delete it though. Just downloaded SCM 3 so don't mind me if i'm missing something obvious. The other default group settings' name has a much longer comparable to the 1 im creating. So am i missing something obvious?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:33 AM

Answers

• Yep there appears to be a character limit on the categories.  When importing or using the canned baselines you can see them using many characters, however if you edit one of these or create your own you will hit that character limit.

This also manifests as an issue when you try and export an imported baseline to ConfigMgr DCM GPOPack.  In certain scenarios it will overwrite an XML in the export, thus failing when importing into ConfigMgr.  It has to do with the way SCM saves the XML categories by using the first letter of each word to make smaller filenames, i.e -

- imported baseline contains two categories for firewall (Public and Private) :

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall Properties\Public Profile\Logging

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall Properties\Private Profile\Logging

- when exported to ConfigMgr DCM xmls, one of them overwrites the other as it tries to save them both with the filename C_W_S_W_W_W_P_Logging.xml. 

- ConfigMgr fails when importing the GPOPack as the reference index XML file is expecting two CIs (configuration items) linked to two XMLs, but only one XML exists.

• Marked as answer by Jack_Tan Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:57 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:29 AM

All replies

• Yep there appears to be a character limit on the categories.  When importing or using the canned baselines you can see them using many characters, however if you edit one of these or create your own you will hit that character limit.

This also manifests as an issue when you try and export an imported baseline to ConfigMgr DCM GPOPack.  In certain scenarios it will overwrite an XML in the export, thus failing when importing into ConfigMgr.  It has to do with the way SCM saves the XML categories by using the first letter of each word to make smaller filenames, i.e -

- imported baseline contains two categories for firewall (Public and Private) :

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall Properties\Public Profile\Logging

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall with Advanced Security\Windows Firewall Properties\Private Profile\Logging

- when exported to ConfigMgr DCM xmls, one of them overwrites the other as it tries to save them both with the filename C_W_S_W_W_W_P_Logging.xml. 

- ConfigMgr fails when importing the GPOPack as the reference index XML file is expecting two CIs (configuration items) linked to two XMLs, but only one XML exists.

• Marked as answer by Jack_Tan Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:57 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:29 AM
  • Thank you for your clarification. Guess i'll just have to create a custom name for it.
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:57 AM