none
Windows 2012 R2 - Need more than 2 RDP Connections

Question

• Hello,

I have a new Windows 2012 R2 server configured and running fine.  However, I need to be able to have more than 2 users connecting concurrently to it.  I did some research and found that I have to purchase special CAL's to enable this.  That is fine, but I'm a bit confused on this.

• Right now I can connect with 2 users.  If I enable the RD Session Host role and buy say 2 CAL's, does that mean I can now connect with 4 users simultaneously, or do I need to buy 4 CAL's for this.
    • The second area that I'm confused with is a "licensing server."  Do I need to setup an entirely new windows server just to manage these 2 additional concurrent logins?  Can I host that on the same server.  My shop is primarily Linux, we only have a handful of Windows servers, and try to keep it as a minimum as our expertise lies elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice,

Tom

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi, by installing the remote desktop services role on the 2012r2 server you will be able to connect more than two sessions to the server.  I'm not 100% sure on the licensing, but you can install the licensing server role on the same instance as the remote desktop server.  You can use the how-to at the bottom of this reply for assistance.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2013/09/20/rd-licensing-configuration-on-windows-server-2012.aspx

• Marked as answer by ter4646 Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:35 PM

All replies