none
Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 with Exchange 2007 Migration to Windows Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010

Question

• OK, I'm sure this has been discussed umpteen times, so I apologize for raising the issue again, since I can't seem to quickly find a scenario that matches mine.

I have 1 Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 system that is acting as a DC, and while I realize it's not a recommended configuration, this same system is running my Exchange 2007 SP2 services, and I already ran the schema updates with the E2K7-SP2 install. It is running ALL server roles, including Hub, Transport, Mailbox, and Unified Messaging, and it does so perfectly.

I plan to deploy a second system running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Exchange 2010, and rebuild the original server with WS2008R2 and Exchange 2010 so that I can take advantage of mailbox resiliency. So what I really need to do is confirm the order of operations...

1. Update the AD schema in preparation of introducing a WS2008R2 domain controller.
    2. Add WS2008R2 as a new DC and transfer all operations to it.
    3. Install Exchange 2010 and move mailboxes from 2007 to the new server.
    4. Uninstall Exchange 2007 from original server.
    5. Demote original server from AD.
    6. Rebuild original server with new WS2008R2 setup.
    7. Promote to AD DC.
    8. Convert to 2008R2 native AD mode and restore operation masters.
    9. Install Exchange 2010.
    10. Setup DAG and MR (which effectively moves mailboxes back to server).
    11. Rekey OutlookAnywhere SSL certificates.

Am I missing anything? Is there a simpler path? What impact will this have on clients... will I need to run around and remap them or will they pick up the new server names automatically (ideally, the cluster computer name will still match the existing name)? I realize each of those steps has its own set of steps but for sake of brevity I won't type it all out.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:50 AM

Answers

All replies