none
Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to establish the usage and requirements of the Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service on Server 2008 R2 beyond the generic and limited information available on the service description and within Technet.

On our SAN connected servers, something has set this service to automatic and we are now seeing the following warnings in the system log

Event Type: Warning Event

Source: FCRegSvc

Event Category: None

Event ID: 2

"The fibre channel platform registration service could not register the platform with fabric  “

We have tried to reproduce this in our test lab however we do not get the warning however we are running different hardware.  These warning occur on different server vendors (Dell and HP) and HBA Cards (Qlogic and Emulex)

I think that the issue is being caused by the swtiches rejecting the registration.

I'm also confident that I can stop the service and just set it back to manual without causing any issues (as this works in my lab), however I want to understand at a low level how this services is trying to register on the fabric

Thanks

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:36 AM

Answers

• The Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service is new on Windows Server
    2008, and is used by the system to determine the status of the fibre that the
    system is connected to. The service is called upon by the system only when it needs
    to query the status of the fibre, and is otherwise unneeded.

The "Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service" is used in conjunction with Storage Explorer or 3rd party management apps to provide friendly names for the server when the switch management server is queried. It is not essential . It can be set to manual or disabled, since this is only an information service. When it is set to automatic, and started, it continuously polls the fibre, and this is not required.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

The Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service registers the platform with all available Fibre Channel fabrics and maintains the registrations. A fabric is a network topology where devices are connected to each other through one or more high-efficiency data paths. This service is used in support of storage area networks.

This service is installed by default on Windows Server 2008, and the service startup type is Manual.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Vivian Wang

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you the reply, however this doesn't give me anymore information than what I can find on the service or within technet already.  Is there anymore information about how this service works from a low level?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:59 AM
  • The Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service is new on Windows Server
    2008, and is used by the system to determine the status of the fibre that the
    system is connected to. The service is called upon by the system only when it needs
    to query the status of the fibre, and is otherwise unneeded.

The "Microsoft Fibre Channel Platform Registration Service" is used in conjunction with Storage Explorer or 3rd party management apps to provide friendly names for the server when the switch management server is queried. It is not essential . It can be set to manual or disabled, since this is only an information service. When it is set to automatic, and started, it continuously polls the fibre, and this is not required.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:16 AM