none
Error 2147024891 when performing SQL2012 SP1 CU6 upgrade from SQL2012 SP1 CU3

    Question

  • I am trying to upgrade a secondary replica running SQL2012 SP1 CU3 to SQL2012 SP1 CU6 and it is failing on DQ, FullText and SQLEngine with Exit Code -2147024891. The error is Component Error Code 5 with Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\sqlscriptdowngrade.dll' is denied.

    I have attempted this 3 times. The first time I was able to upgrade Integration Services, Reporting Services Native, SQLBrowser, SQL Writer, SQL Client Connectivity, SQL Client Connectivity SDK, Data Quality Client and Setup Support Files. I tried 2 more times with the same errors. If I run SQL Discovery is shows all components at build 3381.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Chris 

    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:40 PM

Answers

  • This was so stupid.

    I renamed the bad dll, sqlscriptdowngrade.dll and was able to upgrade Data Quality Services and Full-Text but the Database Engine was held up on C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\perf-SQLSERVERAGENTsqlagtctr.ini giving an Exit code (Decimal):           -2058420221.

    So I renamed this counter and guess what I finally upgraded the Database Engine but it did not update the Summary Txt file that any upgrade normally does.

    Now for the other node on another day.

    Chris

     

    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:34 PM

All replies

  • Hi ChrisAVWood,

    The error code means "Access Denied", when upgrading form SQL Server SP1 CU3 to CU6, we need to verify if you use the account as administrator or have administrator privileges at the computer to install the Cumulative update package 6 for SQL Server 2012 SP1. I recommend you use the local administrator account to upgrade. We also need to node that you may have to restart the computer after you apply this cumulative update package.

    Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here


    Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:55 AM
    Moderator
  • Sofiya,

    I ran this with Run as Admin and other components got updated.

    Thanks

    Chris

    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:30 PM
  • Hello,

    Please verify the SQL Server service account and the Windows account has access to that path and to the file.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772184.aspx#BKMK_1

    Hope this helps.


    Regards,

    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com


    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:07 PM
    Moderator
  • Alberto,

    The permissions on this server are no different than on a server I was able to upgrade. I don't want to add extra permissions just to make this work.

    Chris

    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:15 PM
  • This was so stupid.

    I renamed the bad dll, sqlscriptdowngrade.dll and was able to upgrade Data Quality Services and Full-Text but the Database Engine was held up on C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\perf-SQLSERVERAGENTsqlagtctr.ini giving an Exit code (Decimal):           -2058420221.

    So I renamed this counter and guess what I finally upgraded the Database Engine but it did not update the Summary Txt file that any upgrade normally does.

    Now for the other node on another day.

    Chris

     

    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:34 PM
  • The other node upgraded as expected after renaming the bad files.

    Chris

    Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:59 PM