none
Epson printer problem with Windows Embedded POSReady 7

Question

• We are using 2 PCs both running Microsoft Windows Embedded POSReady 7 based on Microsoft windows 7 technology. There are no server installation at all. The PCs are in a workgroup network.

One of the two PCs has both Epson TM88IV printers connected to it. The POS software installed on this PC uses both printers locally. The printers are shared as POS_shr and KIT_shr. The POS software on the second PC prints to both printers remotely as shared printers.

As my colleague explained, we are facing a situation where whether we configure one printer only or both, most of the time they are in offline mode. The POS software will send a receipt print order to the printer but the printer will not print until it is switched off and back on again.

We have recently switched from windows XP SP2 operating system and have faced similar problem but much less severe. After installing a new installation of Microsoft Windows Embedded POSReady 7, we started seeing this pervasive problem and is disrupting our clients work immensely.

The client is expecting an immediate resolution to this matter. For this, your urgent support is highly appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:51 PM

Answers

• I would highly suggest that you engage with your POS application developer and Epson to troubleshoot this problem.  The drivers for the Epson TM88IV are not native to Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.  The POS application may be communicating directly with the printer or through one of the UnifiedPOS industry standard implementations (OPOS, JavaPOS, POS for .NET).  

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:25 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I would highly suggest that you engage with your POS application developer and Epson to troubleshoot this problem.  The drivers for the Epson TM88IV are not native to Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.  The POS application may be communicating directly with the printer or through one of the UnifiedPOS industry standard implementations (OPOS, JavaPOS, POS for .NET).  

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:25 AM
    Owner
  • Hello,

Indeed, contacting the POS application developer is the way to go. For what I know, even if the printer is shared, only one application can "claim" it at the time.

The POS software has to claim it and release it once is done with it, also the app on the other machine has to check if the printer is claimed, so it can wait for the printer to be released and the claim it to process its own request.

Humberto

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:37 AM