none
SBS Essentials 2011 -- Backup cannot connect to the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service on your server.

Question

• Hello,

Im seeing this error come up when I attempt to configure backup times for SBSe 2011, I have tried to do as it asks but restarts really are not helping anything. 

Backup cannot connect to the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service on your server. If this problem persists, you may be able to resolve this issueby restarting the server.

Thanks,

B

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:31 AM

All replies

• I did forget to mention I have attempted to repair the issue with the links shown under Tasks: and in addition am being asked to restore the folders

Users

Company 

Client Computer Backups

This being a fresh install I find that this is disturbing, also I have no backups as it obviously not possible. I did run sfc /scannow and it came back as good,

Im perplexed as to what is going on with this install.

B

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Is the backup service running?  I think the other time I've seen this reported, it was due to bad drivers.  An install of drivers from the OEM hardware fixed it.  What hardware is this running on?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:45 AM
  • (Ignore this test)
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Ignore this one too.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Its running on a HP ML-150 G6 server, no changes to hardware except we put in two 1TB drives instead of what was in there. Ill look at their site and see if that does not make a difference. I see that Windows Server Client Backup Service is on automatic and when I manually start it, that it shuts down. Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service is started and set to start automatically.

I guessing that it would be ok to install the Drivers provided for SBS 2008 x64 correct?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Look for Server 2008 r2 drivers.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Was there ever a resolution to this?  I have now encountered this twice in two seperate installs of SBSE with no resolution.  In my scenario, the Windows Server Client Computer Backup service is started.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:44 AM
  • What's the hardware you have it installed on?
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:45 AM
  • It is on a Dell T410.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:49 AM
  • I know on one other instance, a hardware driver was needed to get it fixed.  Can you see if there are later drivers on the dell site than what you have installed?
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:52 AM
  • I'll add that it's a brand new Dell T410 with a Perc H700 RAID Adapter.  Install started with the Dell DVD,
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Susan, I found a newer driver and firmware revision.  Updating now and will post the results shortly.  Stay tuned..
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Sorry...  No go.  Latest driver and firmware and the issue persists.  Thoughts?
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Dig through the event logs... can you post the exact events?

Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:13 AM
  • There are no errors in the System or application logs for either the server or client machine.  In fact, in the servers "Windows Server" event log, I can see where my manually initiated client backup succeeded.  (See more details below.)  I am only presented with errors popping up in the GUI. 

Also, bear in mind that there are no issues with the Server backup or restore procedures. 

task descriptions with error text:

From the dashboard; select the computer and clict "additional client computer backup tasks".  This brings up a dialogue for the backup schedule.  Clicking OK results in the following error:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "Backup cannot connect to the Windows Server Client Computer backup Service on your server.  If the problem persists, you may be able to resolve the issue by restarting the server."

A funny thing is that if I run Backup from the Launchpad on the computer, I can kick off a backup and see that it succeeded.  I can even browse to the Client Computer Backups folder on the server and see the backup data.  However, if I chose to "Restore files or folders for the computer", I am met with the following error:

The restore process did not succeed

X Cannot initiate the restore process
      The wizard cannot connect to the backup service provider on the server.  Make sure that all services are running on the server and on the computer to which you want to restore files or folders.  make sure also that the computer is connected to the network, and then try again.

Please help!  :)

Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Any chance these log events have anything to do withthe problem?

From backup-xxxxxx.log:

----------------------------------------

[07/15/2011 16:28:45 6578] Listener TcpEventCallback
    [07/15/2011 16:28:45 6578] Listener TcpConditionCallback from 127.0.0.1
    [07/15/2011 16:28:45 6578] Listener Rejecting connection attempt from 127.0.0.1
    [07/15/2011 16:29:15 6578] Listener TcpEventCallback
    [07/15/2011 16:29:15 6578] Listener TcpConditionCallback from 127.0.0.1
    [07/15/2011 16:29:15 6578] Listener Rejecting connection attempt from 127.0.0.1

From storageservice.log:

[6156] 110715.192331.8001: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The write operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [9892] 110715.192511.5458: StorageProvider: Connection closed with storage provider
    [9892] 110715.192511.5458: StorageProvider: Connection closed with storage provider
    [6156] 110715.192511.5458: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The write operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [11388] 110715.192511.5458: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : PfErrorHandler: IGNORING WCF internal exception: (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (IOException) The write operation failed, see inner exception. ==> (CommunicationException) The socket connection was aborted. This could be caused by an error processing your message or a receive timeout being exceeded by the remote host, or an underlying network resource issue. Local socket timeout was '10675199.02:48:05.4775807'. ==> (SocketException) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [9892] 110715.192511.5614: StorageProvider: Connection closed with storage provider

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Now I'm thinking this is a .Net issue....

Working off of these events I discovered, I did a repair of .Net framework 4.0.  After rebooting, the Windows Server Storage Service crashed.

I was able to start the service back up but still I get the error when trying to manage the client backup tasks.

I then restarted the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service and........  Now I have options in the dashboard that werent there before.  (Customize Backup for the computer)  And...  I can now schedule client backups and no more errors..

But will this persist through a reboot????

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        .NET Runtime
    Date:          7/15/2011 8:14:52 PM
    Event ID:      1026
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      BrokenComputer.sbs-e-2011.com
    Description:
    Application: storageservice.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.public.ConnectionFailedException
    Stack:

Server stack trace:
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.internal.ConnectorInternals.TimeoutWait.ThreadWaitHolder.WaitForTimeout(TimeSpan duration)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.ProviderConnector`1.WaitForConnection(TimeSpan duration)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.ObjectModel.PCBackupServerManager.Connect()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message, Boolean)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(System.Object, System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.MessageData ByRef)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.ObjectModel.WorkerEventHandler.EndInvoke(System.IAsyncResult)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.DataProtection.PCBackup.ObjectModel.PCBackupServerManager.ConnectAsyncDone(System.IAsyncResult)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.AsyncResult.SyncProcessMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessageSink)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          7/15/2011 8:14:52 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      BrokenComputer.sbs-e-2011.com
    Description:
    Faulting application name: storageservice.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed374
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17625, time stamp: 0x4de88429
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
    Faulting process id: 0x1080
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc436686b31224
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\storageservice.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c4e74b74-af59-11e0-a4a4-782bcb33f1c3

Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:35 AM
  • It did not persist.

Storageservice.exe crashes.  Can restart it and then restart the client backup service to get the errors to go away.  Would rather not have to do this every boot....

Thoughts?

Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:08 PM
  • For what it's worth, after the last attempt with starting over, I have SBS-E up and running without the storageservice.exe crash.  Things seem to be okay now, especially after I found the workaround to the OTHER issue I encountered with the imported usernames where they dissapear from the console.....  Nice huh?

May be unable to modify some users and users may disappear from the SBS Essentials Dashboard

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2542106

What a flaky ride....

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:38 AM
  • I had the same experience as Nagorg, storageserver.exe service crashes with unspecified error, three attempts at every reboot of the server. Starting it manually fixes it, until next reboot. Tried delayed start but same problem, crashes and attempts recovery 3 times before just giving up.

Had a ticket open with MS for another issue that I don't think was even related, but for this issue, the fix we ended up going with was to set the Windows Server Storage Service to Manual. Then create a scheduled task to run at computer start, and set the task to be delayed by 10 minutes.

The task executed this command: sc start storageservice

I tested it, rebooted and that did fix it although I don't understand why I had to resort to this workaround.

The SBSe Dashboard has been a buggy disaster for me so far. Hopefully my next migration goes a little smoother.
    I've had numerous other bugs as well: srv service gets overwhelmed and stops file sharing, restarting server service fixed that.
    This weekend suddenly DNS stopped resolving entirely on the server, we remote connected and found nothing amiss, again a restart of the dns server service cleared it up. It's been frustrating to say the least.

Monday, August 08, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for this post.  I'm experiencing the exact same issue with client backup - mine stopped working on Aug 5 2011.  The stoppage seems to coincide with a .NET security hotfix installed that day.

I've repaired .NET 4 on my server, rebooted but "Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service" will still not start.  Just wondering if there may be additional steps that you completed in order to get backup working?  I"m grasping for straws here - as you say, "what a flaky ride . . . "

Thanks!

Friday, August 19, 2011 10:29 AM
  • I really wish Microsoft would put a fix out on this - It looks like it's affecting a lot of SBSe systems out there.
    QC Solutions
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:29 PM
  • They won't/can't put out a fix if no one calls in and they don't know what the issue is.

Can you guys ping me with your email address and phone number so I can set up cases to get this investigated?

Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Looks like either WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc or WSS_ComputerBackupSvc is not running on the server, could you open a connect bug http://connect and attachs the server/client logs Thanks.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Xiaofeng/Susan,

If you are still interested, I'll try to repro the issue again.  I moved on after finally getting a sucessful migration.

-Nagorg

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:06 PM