none
alias issue ndr 5.1.1

Question

• I performed a migration between 2 forests. The migrated user has a different email address based on address policy in the target forest.

- John.Smith@ABC.COM  

- after migration

- Jsmith@DCE.COM ( alias of john.smith@abc.com )

Issue is that he is not able to receive emails as they get bounced back with a reply to users in ABC.com, DCE.com and externally to his alias on his new mailbox

#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

He does have the alias of his previous email account on his current mailbox in his target domain. The target domain DCE.com uses the hub transport server located in ABC.com to add to the complex issue.

I will highly appreciate, if any one can assist me with this issue.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Question,

Per your description, I realize what you exactly want to achieve. If I misunderstand your issue, please tell me.
    1. you migrate the old forest to new foret with new smtp email address space, and in the coexistence period, there is no new MX record for your new smtp address space, right?
    So, if the external email send to the old email address to the  and you also want the new mailbox receive the mail, you could create a mailcontact to forward it like you referrd.
    If you Follow Arun's suggestion, add a new emailaddress for the account in old forest, the email would also send to the old mailbox server.
    2, due to you already decide to change the smtp address space name, so, it is need to let all the contacts know that. You could add a new MX for the new smtp space address. If you are afraid of some external user still send email to the old email address, you have to do the forward configuration on the old email server.

Regards! 

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Sunday, July 08, 2012 2:05 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 6:15 AM

All replies

• I performed the migration using move-mailbox cmdlet.

I have modified the proxyaddress value on the target domain with the legacyexchangedn value of the source forest.

Still receiveing the NDR message - any help is greatly appreciated.

Friday, June 08, 2012 12:45 AM
  • It may be because of the legacy address is not picking up.

Run the command and try again: Get-Mailbox "user" | Update-recipient

Regards from www.windowsadmin.info | www.blog.windowsadmin.info

Saturday, June 09, 2012 4:25 AM
  • Hi Question3r,

Any update for your issue?
    As above referred, you have migrated the mailbox into new forest, please make some tests as below:
    1. in new forest, create a new mailbox, and send email to Jsmith@DCE.COM, post the result or failure information
    2. in old forest, use a mailbox to send email to Jsmith@DCE.COM , please confirm whether there are proper DNS configuration, post the result and failure information
    3. post the detaled operation you have done on the mailbox.
    some information:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx 

Regards!

Gavin

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:42 AM
  • I tested everything and this is the only solution I got.

I have currently created mail contacts to forward emails to the target domain.

This was the only way to get the users their emails on their old email addresses working along with their new email addresses. I have informed them to let their contacts know of the email address change.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Hello Dear,

you can create a Email address policy & their you can define the email address format for the users or in the user mailbox properties you can add both email address, so user can receive emails from both email address.

I hope this will help you.

Arun chaudhary

Arun Chaudhary MCP,MCTS Win Server 2008,MCITP Exchange 2010 Visit my Blog- http://arunmsexchange.blogspot.in

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Hi Arun,

I do not want all users to get the second @domain name alias on their mailboxes. This is for only users who have been acquired by the now parent company.

I am suspecting that the issue could be due to the hub transport role. What we have is the hub transport is currently in the source domain and not in the target domain. It could also be due to receive connectors. I am still not able to get this working....

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi Question,

Per your description, I realize what you exactly want to achieve. If I misunderstand your issue, please tell me.
    1. you migrate the old forest to new foret with new smtp email address space, and in the coexistence period, there is no new MX record for your new smtp address space, right?
    So, if the external email send to the old email address to the  and you also want the new mailbox receive the mail, you could create a mailcontact to forward it like you referrd.
    If you Follow Arun's suggestion, add a new emailaddress for the account in old forest, the email would also send to the old mailbox server.
    2, due to you already decide to change the smtp address space name, so, it is need to let all the contacts know that. You could add a new MX for the new smtp space address. If you are afraid of some external user still send email to the old email address, you have to do the forward configuration on the old email server.

Regards! 

Gavin

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Sunday, July 08, 2012 2:05 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 6:15 AM