none
Changing the default icon for all Request Offerings? Performance issue?

Question

• My client is asking to change all of the Request Offering icons to a blue arrow that he gave us.  They have 150+ published Request Offerings in the SSP.  Icons are already set for the Service Offerings.  From what I have read, if you have a lot of ROs, it is recommended to avoid using custom icons due to a performance hit.  But, would this apply if they are all the same icon?  Or is it only referring to a bunch of different icons?

If it's ok to change all of the Request Offerings to the same icon, is there a way to do a bulk change or to change the default icon to this one?

Thanks!

Friday, July 05, 2013 4:22 PM

Answers

• When using custom icons, they are retrieved every time the user accesses the home page of the service catalog, and the end user will have to download every icon. This wouldn't be a problem if it just had to download the icon once, but custom icons don't get cached which means this can most likely cause quite a delay if working with many ROs.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 4:34 PM
  • I don't believe it would due to the fact that the icons are downloaded at the homepage of the service catalog. The only problem to consider is that the user doesn't cache any of the icons, and I'm not sure if that pertains to a session, or the moment you download it. I personally think it would cache for the session and you would just have to re-download the icon every time you end your session. 

I personally don't think a single icon will cause any noticeable delay.

Friday, July 05, 2013 5:17 PM

All replies

• When using custom icons, they are retrieved every time the user accesses the home page of the service catalog, and the end user will have to download every icon. This wouldn't be a problem if it just had to download the icon once, but custom icons don't get cached which means this can most likely cause quite a delay if working with many ROs.
    Friday, July 05, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  So, it will download that same icon 150+ times?  It doesn't download it once and then display it on each RO?
    Friday, July 05, 2013 5:02 PM
  • I don't believe it would due to the fact that the icons are downloaded at the homepage of the service catalog. The only problem to consider is that the user doesn't cache any of the icons, and I'm not sure if that pertains to a session, or the moment you download it. I personally think it would cache for the session and you would just have to re-download the icon every time you end your session. 

I personally don't think a single icon will cause any noticeable delay.

Friday, July 05, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your help.  If changing all ROs to the same icon wouldn't cause any delay, do you know of a good way to do a bulk icon change?  Or maybe replacing the default key icon?

Monday, July 08, 2013 2:38 PM