none
Unable to copy/paste from Event Viewer on 2008 R2 Server

Question

• When connected via RDP to a Windows 2008 R2 w/SP1 server, I am unable to copy/paste information from event viewer on the server to my local desktop clipboard.  However, I can copy/paste from event viewer on the server to notepad on the server, and then copy/paste from notepad on the server to notepad on my local system (so copy/paste works in RDP).

Is there some security feature in Event Viewer on Windows 2008 R2 w/SP1 that prevents me from copying the details directly from the server to my local workstation?

Thanks

Friday, September 27, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• It works fine here. As a test I RDP to 2008 R2, open some event properties window and use Copy button, then paste into new notepad.exe window on local desktop.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• It works fine here. As a test I RDP to 2008 R2, open some event properties window and use Copy button, then paste into new notepad.exe window on local desktop.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

When copying the logs in Event Viewer, please right click the logs in the middle pane and select Copy Details as Text.

I have tested it successfully.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:45 AM