none
VPN Setup On Server Help Needed

Question

• We recently migrated from Small Business Server 2003 to Server 2012 R2. One of the last things to do was move our Remote (VPN) services to it. Oddly enough, the old SBS 2003 didn't have ROUTING AND REMOTE ACCESS configured at all. We just had a tunnel open to our old SBS 2003 in our firewall, users use Windows VPN client to sign in and bam, they were in.

Well, I pointed the tunnel to our "services" server that has the role for Remote Access. I went in and configured ROUTING AND REMOTE ACCESS and made sure the correct ports were allowed in Windows Firewall.

I tried a VPN connection and it keeps failing with Error 812: THE CONNECTION WAS PREVENTED BECAUSE OF A POLICY CONFIGURED ON YOUR RAS/VPN SERVER. SPECIFICALLY, THE AUTHENTICATION METHOD USED BY THE SERVER TO VERIFY YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD MAY NOT MATCH THE AUTHENICATION METOHD CONFIGURED IN YOUR CONNECTION PROFILE.

In the properties under ROUTING AND REMOTE ACCESS for my server, under security tab, I have EAP and MS-CHAP V2 selected. on the client, it's security tab is set to Automatic VPN and Allow these protocals with MS-CHAP V2 selected.

I can't seem to find the right combination to get this to connect. I've made extensive searches with no luck.

Any suggestions? Does RRAS need to be on the domain controller instead? I was hoping to complete this by this evening.

• Edited by Brian Wolters Friday, June 13, 2014 9:24 PM New Title
    Friday, June 13, 2014 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Add your user account to RAS and IAS group and try again.

According the error, it seems that authentication method mismatch. If you have NPS installed on the same server, authentication method should also be configured on it.

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 16, 2014 9:51 AM