none
System not signing out or shutting down properly.

Question

• The problem is sometimes (not always) when I shut down my computer (which I recently updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 via Store), or sign out - it hangs. Hangs in the way, that when signing out it keeps showing signing out for 30 minutes, after which I just force shutdown it. Same is the case with shutting down: after the screen is turned off, I still see the processor light on, even after a lot of time, indicating that it has not actually shut down. This has been the case since a lot of time now.

The biggest problem is, it occurs frequently enough to be an issue, but not everytime. For example, if I turn off/sign out 10 times a week, this problem is present, like only 7 times. So I can't find a definite cause for it. Also, this is primarily an issue with the sign out: I think the shutdown fails because the sign out fails - so it's about fixing the sign out.

With no sort of visual indications or error messages, the only place I can start troubleshooting is the Event log. Looking at the System logs under Windows, the only error reported around the time of shutdown and (surprisingly) even when the PC is being used is Event ID 10016 "The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID..."

Using the registry, I found that this application with the above mentioned CLSID was: Immersive Shell. Looking deeper into the Event Log, I found that this error started occurring only after Windows 8.1 was installed. This confirms that this issue is caused by some fault during update.

I would like to make it clear that a Refresh or a Reset is my last resort - simply because I do not want to spend hours reconfiguring my system and desktop apps. I want to get to the solution of this issue - not overlook it.

Even more interesting, sometimes the error would end like: " from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool." (the case around the time of shutdown/sign out),

and sometimes like: "to the user PCNAME\USERNAME SID (S-1-5-21-1925085438-1685653947-3436975336-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.BingNews_3.0.1.174_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe SID (S-1-15-2-508114518-3340871649-811464485-526616082-4258465299-1774086546-1865468257). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool". (during the time the PC is on). And this kind of error occurs with many other Modern apps, so you can replace the part after "running in the application container" with the details and name of any installed Modern app.

So, what is this error essentially, why does this occur, and most importantly, how do I fix it? Thanks in advance for any solutions/suggestions.

• Edited by Swapnil99pro Monday, December 23, 2013 11:57 AM Ok, seems I concluded too early. Not solved yet.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 2:27 PM

Answers

• After days of usage, I have not encountered any problems with shutdown/sleep so I will consider this fixed once and for all. And here's the thing that fixed it.

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Yes, Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool repaired something in the Windows component store. After that I deleted the Broadcom file from the System32 > Drivers folder as it was no longer used by the latest version of the driver.

I ran the DISM command because I have read about it being used to fix corrupted Windows files. I thought it might be something related to corrupt files because I had already given full control to Administrator for all COM CLSIDs.

Thanks for taking out time to reply to this issue. 

EDIT: I am, marking this reply as answer.
    • Edited by Swapnil99pro Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Swapnil99pro Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:39 AM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Previously all the settings for Immersive Shell were grayed out in Component Services. Thanks to a search, I can at least modify permissions. But, what to modify? I am running Windows 8.1, non-pro edition.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to the partly event log information you posted here, it seems to be something messes with Immersive Shell after the update and you in turn get the dcom error ,Since you’ve already have permissions to edit the settings, then

• Under Security -> Launch and Activation Permissions, choose Customize and click Edit.
    • Highlight Administrator and check all boxes below.
    • Then save all changes.

If issue persists, please paste the full event log information here for analyzing.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Well, to set settings for Immersive Shell, I followed the steps at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/emeadaxsupport/archive/2010/01/26/unable-to-edit-the-dcom-settings-for-iis-wamreg-admin-service-on-a-windows-server-2008-r2-when-trying-to-configure-kerberos-authentication-for-role-centers.aspx

(which I got a reference to from a reply at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/dcom-error-10016-cannot-change-permissions-in/dfdb4fa6-c867-4af1-b650-3a188d26d36b ).

This automatically granted me full control on Administrators for Immersive Shell (did not notice then, but when you asked me to do so, I checked it). But the issue was not resolved. Then, when you mentioned about posting complete event log details, I thought I had only left out the APPID part (which was irrelevant to solving this issue). But just to be double sure again, I checked (I was right). And this lead me to something interesting, the recent error ended with:

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

So, I just added permissions for LOCAL SERVICE to all 3 parts (Launch and Activation, Access and configuration permissions) - and tested by doing 2 sign-outs and 2 shutdowns.

And surprisingly, it all worked well. So, based on this I can declare: <strike>PROBLEM SOLVED!!!</strike>

<strike>NOW WHAT DO I MARK AS THE ANSWER? This post?</strike>

And, thanks for offering help, v-yozhu.

On the third shutdown, it again stuck. Checked the event log again: this time it's event 10010 (around shutdown, 3 times in a row):

The server {03E64E17-B220-4052-9B9B-155F9CB8E016} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

And there's another one (during general PC use):

The server {209500FC-6B45-4693-8871-6296C4843751} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

OK, now I am trying to solve this issue.

Monday, December 23, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Now, for the "The server {03E64E17-B220-4052-9B9B-155F9CB8E016} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout., I applied Full control for Administrators for the CLSID in the registry, and got to know the DCOM server was WinStore OM.

I did a shutdown. Took unexpectedly long, so I turned it on again to check for any errors in event log, and the startup took a long time also. Event Log said: it was a bugcheck. I got the memory dump file but it's 467 MB in size. Surprisingly, there are 5 WinStore OM entries in component services -  each with a different AppID.

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

Event ID 10010 — COM General Functionality

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774175(WS.10).aspx

And the event is also might be related with performance, please refer to this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f7211cff-9221-4cc5-aea8-16bd7797a93c/event-id-10010-dcom-error

For the memory dump, please upload it to Skydrive or other tools then paste the link here.

How to use Skydrive

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

NOTE: response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I have given full control to Administrators group on all CLSIDs and AppIDs under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes. (using inheritance from the CLSID and AppID keys).

As for the memory dump, it's at http://sdrv.ms/1iq0w54 (as analyzed by WinDbg).

Let's see the results. I would prefer to wait for a week before declaring anything. Please note that I won't be able to reply before 8th Jan, so I would humbly request the moderators to not mark an answer for the time being.

Thank you very much for your help, v-yozhu.

Monday, December 30, 2013 4:04 PM
  • OK, this failed as well. Anything I can do to fix this issue once and for all?

I must say, that in Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 upgrade, it's absolutely terrible management on Microsoft's part. I am furious about the Operating systems division: whether it's about my Windows Phone or my Windows 8.1 notebook. If Windows Phone does not suffer from these kind of errors, then it's very limited on features; if Windows 8.1 has features; it's got these errors. I know, Microsoft employees don't read this, but still. And after so many requests Microsoft has still refused to release Windows 8.1 ISO images.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:59 AM
  • The dump file points to a driver rt630x64.sys, this driver belongs in most cases to product Realtek…. PCI/PCIe Adapters, do you have one in your device manager?  Please update the driver for the adapter.

Regards

Yolanda

Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Thanks for your response. Yes, I do have a Realtek network adapter. And I got one more bugcheck: this time by the Broadcom network adapter driver. I'll update both and let you know if it helps.
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:12 AM
  • After days of usage, I have not encountered any problems with shutdown/sleep so I will consider this fixed once and for all. And here's the thing that fixed it.

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Yes, Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool repaired something in the Windows component store. After that I deleted the Broadcom file from the System32 > Drivers folder as it was no longer used by the latest version of the driver.

I ran the DISM command because I have read about it being used to fix corrupted Windows files. I thought it might be something related to corrupt files because I had already given full control to Administrator for all COM CLSIDs.

Thanks for taking out time to reply to this issue. 

EDIT: I am, marking this reply as answer.
    • Edited by Swapnil99pro Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Swapnil99pro Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:39 AM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:38 AM