none
2 node Hyper-v cluster

Question

• Hi,

I am building a 2 node Hyper-v HA cluster.

WS2012 R2 Datacenter on Physical hosts

Shared storage through Netapp FC SAN

I need to know if CSV is mandatory to make my VM's Highly available? I am not using CSV currently and creating VM through failover cluster manager. when I go to role and add 'virtual machine' as role and add multiple VM's, all the VM's are part of the role and I cannot move individual machines.

Also, under role on top row I see name of a single machine which actually represent one of the VM's. looks odd.

Any help on above is appreciated.

Regards,

KailashC

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if you dont use CSV you will lose all the benefits of the CSV.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759255.aspx

But you do not need a CSV to make VMs high available. You can create a volume and place a single VM on that volume. So you are able to move this VM between the two Cluster nodes.
    But Attention! Each VM needs a drive letter, so your Hyper-V Cluster can run maximus about 20 VMs.

If you place more than one VM at a volume the VMs are grouped and you can not move this VMs by Livemigration.

Now again here comes CSV. If you use CSV you can place all VMs at a single volume and live Migration works for every VM.

Hope that helps

Regards

Sebastian

• Marked as answer by KailashC Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by KailashC Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by SebVe Friday, February 28, 2014 10:45 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:30 AM
  • I am building a 2 node Hyper-v HA cluster.

WS2012 R2 Datacenter on Physical hosts

Shared storage through Netapp FC SAN

I need to know if CSV is mandatory to make my VM's Highly available? I am not using CSV currently and creating VM through failover cluster manager. when I go to role and add 'virtual machine' as role and add multiple VM's, all the VM's are part of the role and I cannot move individual machines.

Also, under role on top row I see name of a single machine which actually represent one of the VM's. looks odd.

If you need to make VMs Highly Available then yes you'll need CSV on top of a shared storage. However there are many other options with a better uptime that don't require CSV (HA VMs will re-boot on another node so some downtime and some data loss would be present). For example guest VM cluster and built-in clustering features present in SQL Server and Exchange. See:

Using Guest Clustering for High Availability

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn440540.aspx

Storage requirements depend on the clustered roles that run on the cluster. Most clustered roles use clustered storage, where the storage is available on any cluster node that runs a clustered role. Examples of clustered storage include Physical Disk resources and Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV). Some roles do not require storage that is managed by the cluster. For example, you can configure Microsoft SQL Server to use availability groups that replicate the data between nodes. Other clustered roles may use Server Message Block (SMB) shares or Network File System (NFS) shares as data stores that any cluster node can access.

Say if you have FC you can configure Virtual FC and use LUs on FC in pass-thru mode for a shared storage.

Hope this helped :)

StarWind VSAN [Virtual SAN] clusters Hyper-V without SAS, Fibre Channel, SMB 3.0 or iSCSI, uses Ethernet to mirror internally mounted SATA disks between hosts.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:27 PM
  • VR38DETT,

Thanks for your reply. Can you throw some light on (HA VMs will re-boot on another node so some downtime and some data loss would be present).

Regards,

KailashC

Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:21 PM