none
autogenerated private user folder?

Question

• Hello,

i want to automatically create a private folder per user BUT NOT A HOME FOLDER this will be a private "dumpbin" with a shortcut on the desktop \\server\shared\myusername , all the questions about this have been about generating a home folder and whatnot. I dont't want a homefolder as it would fill with random garbage the user put in their folder, thus it needs to be a separate manually-accesable folder. Any ideas?

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:36 PM

Answers

• if you create the servershare and folders with the same setup of permissions like you would do for an auto_create home_folder, but don't configure the user home folder settings, instead, create a logon script and that script performs the per-user folder creation, that might succeed for you.

the script could just perform the creation of folder, at first, as a test.
    you could then add further logic to the script, so that it creates the shortcut you want.
    or you could use GPP "Shortcuts" feature to manage the shortcut creation.

i'm not sure that this solution would be better at stopping users from dumping garbage in it.
    in my experience, if you give a user access to a servershare, they will put stuff in it, and won't usually be too careful about how much or what kind of stuff they put there. this is where quotas and file-screening can be very handy, to apply limits

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:52 AM

All replies

• if you create the servershare and folders with the same setup of permissions like you would do for an auto_create home_folder, but don't configure the user home folder settings, instead, create a logon script and that script performs the per-user folder creation, that might succeed for you.

the script could just perform the creation of folder, at first, as a test.
    you could then add further logic to the script, so that it creates the shortcut you want.
    or you could use GPP "Shortcuts" feature to manage the shortcut creation.

i'm not sure that this solution would be better at stopping users from dumping garbage in it.
    in my experience, if you give a user access to a servershare, they will put stuff in it, and won't usually be too careful about how much or what kind of stuff they put there. this is where quotas and file-screening can be very handy, to apply limits

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:52 AM
  • hmm a simple mkdir bat you think?.

about the shortcut, yeah i was going to use GPP shortcut feature to paste it on their folder and then each user can find their directory(making a per-user shortcut will be a PITA, unless GPP can use %username% variables...)

Thing is that programs themselves tend to dump garbage on the home folder/my documents, not to mention the problem of multi-station login (oops, "i logged into two different computers at the same time", WHAM CHAOS AND MAYHEM for me), by having a shortcut FOR WORKSTUFF on the server i wash my hands on data loss....

i could setup some screening there but it's a double-edged weapon, i mean, i could block some filetypes but they can have good purposes too(that i can't fathom, i could talk to the customer about it).

btw, one odd thing about the GPP shortcut is that it didn't work until i set it for all users desktop, if i set it per user the shortcut never appeared, odd

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:39 AM
  • I ended up solving it using a simple logon script inspired from http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/844-logon-script-to-create-user-directory-in-shared-users-folder-and-change-permissions

the scrip is essentially:

if not exist "\\server\users\%USERNAME%" md "\\server\users\%USERNAME%"

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:57 PM