none
Server 2012 - Migrating VMs to Server 2012 Host

Question

• We are replacing our old hardware and getting in new blades - we will be loading them with server 2012 with HyperV and cluster all our nodes for utilizing the live migration and other neat features.

I would like to migrate old VM's server 2008 and 2008 R2 over to the newer physical environment.

My intentions was to ensure the new physical environment network connectivity is correctly in place and then migrate virtual machines over to to the Server 2012 hosts.

VM's are DC's | App Servers | All other servers in a typical environment.

Since live migration is not possible as they are going over to non identical hardware - My question is whats the best and efficient use to migrate the servers ( Some standalone and some clustered over ) to the newer blade environment.

Are there tools ( Microsoft or Non Microsoft that perform this with ease)

I am sure I am not the only one who had to perform infrastructure refresh's and then migrate machines from legacy/end of life hardware over.

Any experiences, tools, whitepapers suggestions welcomed - Thank you.

Friday, July 05, 2013 2:28 AM

Answers

• Hyper-V Server 2012 can import VMs directly from another system.  It is not like 2008 where you had to first export the VM and then import.  So the easiest thing to do is to set up your 2012 environment and start importing the VMs.  Once they are imported into the 2012 environment, upgrade the integration services and you should be ready to go.

For moving a clustered 2008 Hyper-V environment to a clustered 2012 Hyper-V environment, here is a nice step-by-step.  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2012/06/25/10323434.aspx

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, July 05, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hello,

a nice feature of Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 is the fact that you can import a VM even if it was not exported before. This was not possible in 2008 (R2).

For Standalone Hosts, the easiest way is to copy the VHD files to the new Cluster (via Network/USB) and create new VMs there. Then you simply attach the VHDs. Doing so avoids issues with the VM Configuration.

The same way you can do it Cluster to Cluster, but I guess you got a lot of machines in the 2008 (R2) Clusters, so this can take time.

Another nice feature (in case the Clusters are using the same storage) is the Role Migration Wizard. With this you can migrate the VMs from the old Cluster to the new one. Basically this is CSV based, so you have to migrate all VMs residing on one CSV at the same time.
    The process looks the following:
    - Run the Role Migration Wizard
    - Shutdown prestaged VMs and take the corresponding CSV offline
    - Unpresent the CSV LUN from the old Cluster, present it to the new one
    - Take the CSV online
    - Take the VMs online

Usually here the downtime can be reduced to 10min in total (in case nothing goes wrong).
    I performed this several times now, even if I had problems with the VM Configuration, all VMs have been up latest after 30min.

Please let me know if you got any further questions.

Best Regards,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

All replies

• Hyper-V Server 2012 can import VMs directly from another system.  It is not like 2008 where you had to first export the VM and then import.  So the easiest thing to do is to set up your 2012 environment and start importing the VMs.  Once they are imported into the 2012 environment, upgrade the integration services and you should be ready to go.

For moving a clustered 2008 Hyper-V environment to a clustered 2012 Hyper-V environment, here is a nice step-by-step.  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2012/06/25/10323434.aspx

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Hello,

a nice feature of Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 is the fact that you can import a VM even if it was not exported before. This was not possible in 2008 (R2).

For Standalone Hosts, the easiest way is to copy the VHD files to the new Cluster (via Network/USB) and create new VMs there. Then you simply attach the VHDs. Doing so avoids issues with the VM Configuration.

The same way you can do it Cluster to Cluster, but I guess you got a lot of machines in the 2008 (R2) Clusters, so this can take time.

Another nice feature (in case the Clusters are using the same storage) is the Role Migration Wizard. With this you can migrate the VMs from the old Cluster to the new one. Basically this is CSV based, so you have to migrate all VMs residing on one CSV at the same time.
    The process looks the following:
    - Run the Role Migration Wizard
    - Shutdown prestaged VMs and take the corresponding CSV offline
    - Unpresent the CSV LUN from the old Cluster, present it to the new one
    - Take the CSV online
    - Take the VMs online

Usually here the downtime can be reduced to 10min in total (in case nothing goes wrong).
    I performed this several times now, even if I had problems with the VM Configuration, all VMs have been up latest after 30min.

Please let me know if you got any further questions.

Best Regards,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

• Export vms to external media such as external hdd drive of network share.install new hardware and server 2012.move the data and register the new vms through server 2012.

Darshana Jayathilake

Sunday, July 07, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Can I use the above procedure to move clustered VM's as well.

I do not want to migrate the my print clusters - I just want to move them keeping all guest VM OS the same as it was on the previous physical hardware. Also is it possible to perform this retaining HA?

Monday, July 08, 2013 6:35 PM