none
User Access to Report Server (2012) - Server2008 R2 SP1

Question

• It seems that simply adding Role Assignments for users on the Report Server is enough to grant users access to reports, or to even deploy reports, on Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Firstly I had add the computer (i.e. report server) to Trusted Sites in IE and use "run as administrator" run BIDS and IE to deploy reports and view them on the server itself even while logged in as an administrator.

Secondly, it seemed to be necessity to set UAC to the minimum setting (basically off).

The third action that seemed to be required was to add users to the Report Server as administrators. Hopefully administrator rights aren't actually required but I was happy just to see users gain access at the time.

I can live with items 1 and 2 but is it really necessary to add each user to the report server's user accounts? If so what is are the minimum privileges required? Giving everyone administrator rights is obviously not acceptable.

Is there some clear, concise documentation about this somewhere? I spent a lot of time searching for answers and found a lot of information, much of it confusing. I also got the impression that I am not the only person to have spent a lot of time looking for answers on this subject.

R Campbell

Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:33 PM

All replies

• I can live with items 1 and 2 but is it really necessary to add each user to the report server's user accounts? If so what is are the minimum privileges required? Giving everyone administrator rights is obviously not acceptable.

Yes, you have to add every user to ReportServer to grant access permissions. Other option is to use a Windows domain group for the user, then you have to add only that group to SSRS. And "browse" permissions for the common user is quite enough.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:13 AM

• Yes, you have to add every user to ReportServer to grant access permissions. Other option is to use a Windows domain group for the user, then you have to add only that group to SSRS. And "browse" permissions for the common user is quite enough.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thanks for the reply. Just be clear on this, I am familiar with adding Windows accounts via the Report Server URL. I refer here to adding users on the report server in Control Panel/Users. As I said I made them admin just as a test, a lesser privilege is obviously more appropriate.

R Campbell

• Edited by Dick Campbell Monday, September 30, 2013 8:58 AM Typo
    Monday, September 30, 2013 8:57 AM