none
SBS2003/SBS2008 Performance Tuning

Question

• This is more of a generic question.  I have several SBS2003 and SBS2008 servers that I manage.  Some of the SBS2003 servers are aged a few years.  Their operation seems to get a bit slower all of the time.  Memory & CPU% look very good.  They are packed with 4gb RAM with plenty available.

Simple question.  What, if anything, do you do to performance tune the server over time?

Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• What part of the SBS 2003s is noticeably slower?
    Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Having done several migrations to SBS 2011, what has struck me is how fast the disk writes are on the new server. I copied some files (approx 500Mb) on the old server from one physical drive array to the other ( 2 x U320 10k 3.5" SCSI disks arrays in Raid 5) and it was pretty average. I then copied the same files across Gigabit network to the new server (2 x SAS 10k 2.5" disk arrays in Raid 10) and it did it in about half the time it took to copy between arrays on the old server!

I am not sure how this answers your question but i would look at disk performance as i thought the old server had "reasonable" performance - Dell PoweEdge 2600 with Perc4 raid controller. I guess the disks becomes pretty fragmented especially with stuff like exchange logs being written all the time so perhaps try a product like executive disk keeper?

I am going to restore my server after i complete the migration and have a play to see what i could have done to speed it up as i still have a lot of clients using SBS 2003

Monday, March 21, 2011 6:39 AM
  • In this case I am noticing 2 issues:  1) Users are telling me it takes a while to save documents, and 2) when I tried to get on to the server it appeared as if it had locked up.  (No mouse or keyboard actions would work or they were either very slow).  This went on for about 1hr on the server.  When I could bring up a task manager there appeared to be very little load
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to share you the following two Microsoft articles for how to turning performance.

Performance Tuning Guidelines for Windows Server 2008

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/Perf-tun-srv.docx

Performance Tuning Guidelines for Windows Server 2003

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/8/0/2800a518-7ac6-4aac-bd85-74d2c52e1ec6/tuning.doc

In addition, you may run Process Monitor to monitor and troubleshoot the performance issue.

Process Monitor v2.94

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:16 AM