none
Which backup destinations are supported under SBS 2011 ?

Question

• Hi,

I'm considering a new backup device for my SBS 2011 server,

I'm not sure which devices can SBS 2011 use.

I know USB external hdds are supported - I used that until now.

Is external drives (for example external SATA RDX tapes (internal DELL rd1000) and such, would work?

What are the other options I have with the built-in backup system?

Many thanks!

Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:07 PM

Answers

• 1. USB External Drives

2. Internal Drives (they'll be formattted so they need to be dedicated drives for backup).

3. NAS devices that support iSCSI (You'll need to set the NAS up for iSCSI and create a LUN, configure the iSCSI initiator to connect to the NAS, configure the hard drive in Disk Management and once done run the SBS Backup routien from the console).

They're all the ones I'm aware of but I'll bow down to anyone elses' knowledge of the subject.

Hope this helps?

R

• Marked as answer by K834T953 Friday, July 06, 2012 3:58 PM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 1:56 PM

All replies

• At the top of this forum there is a build wiki.  Included there is a list of the tested backup targets.  If you find some that work and/or don't work please update the list. 

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:36 AM
  • RDX is not directly supported by SBSBackup. This is due to a curiosity of how RDX drives are recognised by Windows, being closer in manner to the way a CD/DVD appears. The problem relates to the driver for the device and how 'different types of media' have different limitations when viewed by Windows Server Backup. WSB can actually use RDX, but not in 'full drive' manner (which is used by SBSBackup). WSB to RDX must do 'folder' style backup and therefore is limited in versioning (particularly _1 System State_ only).

eSATA or even SATA connected 'drive bays' that present the drive 'near as possible' to being an internal drive _should_ work. I haven't tried, nor heard much discussion of, such.

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Adding to supergumby and larry suggestions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.external-backup-drives-compatibility-list.aspx 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974001 and

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsbackup/thread/6d00c879-6310-4971-b438-393bff741dc8

On a Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based system, using Windows Server Backup, you can perform backups to removable cartridge disk drives.

Windows Server Backup treats removable media, such as removable cartridge disk drives, as the equivalent of DVD drives. Therefore, they are subject to the same restrictions as DVD backups. For example, you cannot create scheduled automatic backups to these drives. Also, recovery of individual files, folders or application data is not supported.

On a Windows Server 2008-based system, you receive the following error message when you try to restore individual files or folders from removable media:
    Recovery of individual files, folders or application data from DVD or removable media is not supported.

Friday, July 06, 2012 12:01 PM
  • You can also backup to network storage providing you don't use the SBS 2011 console. You have to use the Windows Server Backup utility from Start>>Programs>>Admin Tools if you want to do this. Note if you select the option to backup to a network device you'll receive a warning that explains that each new backup will erase the last (ie no incrementals) so be warned that your backup window will increase and your recovery options are limited to the previous days backup...

Friday, July 06, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Thanks everybody!

So just to be sure, what kind of backup destination SBS 2011 console support with all its features?

Is USB external HDD the only option or there's anything else?

BTW, the compatibility list is a little bit misleading, I think we should add a column of notes, for example next to the RD1000 it just says OK without to mention the DVD-like limitation.

Friday, July 06, 2012 1:13 PM
  • 1. USB External Drives

2. Internal Drives (they'll be formattted so they need to be dedicated drives for backup).

3. NAS devices that support iSCSI (You'll need to set the NAS up for iSCSI and create a LUN, configure the iSCSI initiator to connect to the NAS, configure the hard drive in Disk Management and once done run the SBS Backup routien from the console).

They're all the ones I'm aware of but I'll bow down to anyone elses' knowledge of the subject.

Hope this helps?

R

• Marked as answer by K834T953 Friday, July 06, 2012 3:58 PM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Thanks again!

From your experience, is there any enterprise class external 2.5" USB hard drives?

It doesn't feel too reliable trusting regular WD passport drives...

Friday, July 06, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I couldn't really recommend any particular brand in truth. At the end of the day hard drives will eventually fail. I'd say your best bet would be to make sure you have a good rotation policy so that all your eggs aren't in one basket. If budget allows then archive old drives and replace with new on a basis that you\the business, think is reasonable.

Thanks

R

Saturday, July 07, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Empty USB caddy and your drive of choice? (WD RE?)

I've also been interested lately in the several USB devices that will do 'drive copy' between 2 drives on the single USB device. The down side of this is handling 'bare drives' or at best a drive in the minimal sort of caddy that is used in NAS boxes or various servers.

a sample of the device I mean http://www.espow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3208&currency=AU&gsc=googleshopping&gclid=CMiv57rriLECFYaZpgodqWoPKQ but it was just a web search, not a recommendation. You leave 1 HDD in the device _full time_ and SBS uses it for backup. You then have additional drives that you plug in, copy direct on the device, take offsite. As far as SBS is concerned it continually uses 1 target, you can then have umpty-dozen 'offsite' copies.

Sunday, July 08, 2012 12:42 AM