none
Implementing Something Similar to "Windows Update"

Question

• Hi,

I'm new to Azure, and our application has a component that is in the Azure cloud, as well as a component on premise.  Is there a way to implement a feature similar to Windows Update, where the component in the cloud can push down software updates to on premise?

If so, can you point in the right direction of the preferred approach?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:34 PM

Answers

• hi billru44,

I am sure you would have thought about it already, 

Windows update do not push software, its a pull, windows update on your machine connects to windows update online and checks if a software update is available, if there is an update available it downloads and installs

this is not a super complicated thing to do at least in context of a software that is not windows :) {I can't be unbiased here, i just love MS}

two options you can choose

Option 1

1) put software update online (in your case cloud)

2) On your on premises component, you will need to create something that can connect to your cloud service (there are scenarios to think of like security, version detection etc.. but for simplicity and clarity of concept i am skipping it)

3) connect to your cloud service with installed version info and request service for information on available update (service should return the new version and the download information, may be a location where bits can be downloaded from)

4) download using your on premises component (you can utilize microsoft bits (Binary intelligent transfer service, if you use windows OS), and install locally.

Option 2

use something of the shelf, there are few on the block to achieve what you want to do (not sure if they are azure ready though, i feel they will be)

-----------------------

Please mark as answered if it helped

Please mark as answered if it helped Vishal Narayan Saxena http://twitter.com/vishalishere http://www.ogleogle.com/vishal/

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not very clear about what you mean "component in the cloud can push down software updates to on premise"? Do you want to sync up the component in cloud? If so, where is the component? If it is in sql azure database or storage, you can use data sync to do it. If not, I think you have to update manually. For example, if it is install in instance or vm, you can rdp to it to update.

Thanks,

QinDian Tang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:01 AM
  • hi billru44,

I am sure you would have thought about it already, 

Windows update do not push software, its a pull, windows update on your machine connects to windows update online and checks if a software update is available, if there is an update available it downloads and installs

this is not a super complicated thing to do at least in context of a software that is not windows :) {I can't be unbiased here, i just love MS}

two options you can choose

Option 1

1) put software update online (in your case cloud)

2) On your on premises component, you will need to create something that can connect to your cloud service (there are scenarios to think of like security, version detection etc.. but for simplicity and clarity of concept i am skipping it)

3) connect to your cloud service with installed version info and request service for information on available update (service should return the new version and the download information, may be a location where bits can be downloaded from)

4) download using your on premises component (you can utilize microsoft bits (Binary intelligent transfer service, if you use windows OS), and install locally.

Option 2

use something of the shelf, there are few on the block to achieve what you want to do (not sure if they are azure ready though, i feel they will be)

-----------------------

Please mark as answered if it helped

Please mark as answered if it helped Vishal Narayan Saxena http://twitter.com/vishalishere http://www.ogleogle.com/vishal/

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Thanks.  I did some research and also found out that Windows Update is a Get.  I'm going to try this route, as you suggested (Option 1).

I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:22 PM