none
Not receiving external emails

Question

• I'm coming across a problem on Small Business Server 2011. I am not being able to receive any emails from external domains. Internal emails are being processed correctly. When sending an email from my personal Gmail account to the Exchange 2010, I get no error to know what has happened to the email. I have to restart the server in order to receive my emails. I checked on the console and there are no errors. Please can someone help me, thanks. AllawiJR
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi:

It may be that one of the exchange services is shutting down some time after the SBS is restarted.  You said that when the SBS is restarted the mail magically appears.

Is the SBS/exchange server set to receive its mails via the pop3 connector?  If so, check that the pop3 connector remains started.  If not, then check that the other exchange services remain started.  You can do this in the Services applet, found both in the SBS console and under Start - Administrative Tools.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by AllawiJR Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi:

It may be that one of the exchange services is shutting down some time after the SBS is restarted.  You said that when the SBS is restarted the mail magically appears.

Is the SBS/exchange server set to receive its mails via the pop3 connector?  If so, check that the pop3 connector remains started.  If not, then check that the other exchange services remain started.  You can do this in the Services applet, found both in the SBS console and under Start - Administrative Tools.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by AllawiJR Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:02 AM
  • I don't know how to tell if they are shutting down. I have set up receive connectors, this was done through the EMC. Not through the SBS console. If I go onto SBS console and check the POP3 connector, it says its off. I checked the services, some are started and some are blank. Should I start all of them?
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:24 AM
  • The services that are marked "automatic" should be running.  If they are not, start them.  If they don't stay running, you will have to figure out why.  Perf Mon is one that only kicks in when needed, the others should stay started.  The pop3 connector for exchange will have to be running if it is going to retreive any mail.
    Larry Struckmeyer

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:45 AM