none
Exchange 2013 CU1 UM and Avaya SM R6

    Question

  • Hello! I have a problem integrating Avaya and Exchange 2013 CU1 UM.

    In 2010 environment it works perfectly fine, however with Exchange 2013 I was unable to make it work.

    I was looking into the packets sent by 2010 and 2013, the only difference is in 302 reply. Exchange 2010 sends extension@ip:port as the Contact URI while Exchange 2013 sends extension@fqdn:port

    Avaya doesn't seem to recognize the format and instead of connecting to the specified within the contact field service just keeps querying TCP 5060 (Call Router Service).

    Is there any way to force Exchange to use IP within the contact field instead of FQDN?

    Pointing SIP Entity to 5065/5067 directly is not an option for obvious reasons well covered here on the forums.

    Friday, June 14, 2013 8:40 AM

Answers

  • Finally got it working, well, sort of.

    This is what I did:

    Established an EntityLink to Exchange 2010 SP3 UM

    Established an EntityLink to Exchange 2013 CU1 UM

    Created an adaptation for Exchange with the following parameters:

    DigitConversionAdapter modifications: odstd=IPOfExchange2013 fromto=true

    Applied the modification on the EntityLink to Exchange 2010

    So this is what actually happens

    1)Avaya SM routes call(based on the routing policies) to the Exchange 2010

    2)Exchange 2010 answers with 302 message specifying IP address of Exchange 2013 and service port (5065 or 5067)

    3) SM successfully connects to Exchange 2013 UM

    MWI is working fine, only thing that is not working is PlayByPhone. Might be an Outlook glitch or something silly like that though since UM successfully dials any phone number using Test-UMConnectivity -UMIPGateway <gateway> -Phone <extension>

    So until MS or Avaya will release a patch fixing the 302 reply problem I wouldn't recommend migrating to 2013 UM. However you can use SBC or something similar to modify the contact field of 302 reply, I guess that should do the trick. Avaya SM modification adapters can't do it so I'm unable to verify it in my lab

    • Marked as answer by Odinochka Friday, June 14, 2013 2:48 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

  • Finally got it working, well, sort of.

    This is what I did:

    Established an EntityLink to Exchange 2010 SP3 UM

    Established an EntityLink to Exchange 2013 CU1 UM

    Created an adaptation for Exchange with the following parameters:

    DigitConversionAdapter modifications: odstd=IPOfExchange2013 fromto=true

    Applied the modification on the EntityLink to Exchange 2010

    So this is what actually happens

    1)Avaya SM routes call(based on the routing policies) to the Exchange 2010

    2)Exchange 2010 answers with 302 message specifying IP address of Exchange 2013 and service port (5065 or 5067)

    3) SM successfully connects to Exchange 2013 UM

    MWI is working fine, only thing that is not working is PlayByPhone. Might be an Outlook glitch or something silly like that though since UM successfully dials any phone number using Test-UMConnectivity -UMIPGateway <gateway> -Phone <extension>

    So until MS or Avaya will release a patch fixing the 302 reply problem I wouldn't recommend migrating to 2013 UM. However you can use SBC or something similar to modify the contact field of 302 reply, I guess that should do the trick. Avaya SM modification adapters can't do it so I'm unable to verify it in my lab

    • Marked as answer by Odinochka Friday, June 14, 2013 2:48 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:33 PM
  • To get this functioning u must do the following!  The CM will handle the "302 moved" FQDN request with this setup.  CM 5.2.1 with 6.2 SM.

    1. Lockdown the CAS server worker port to 5065.  A restart of the UM service every couple of days will take care of this because it defaults to 5065.

    2. CM hunt group set "voice mail handle" to a name.  EX: sipms

    3. SM create SIP entity for CAS server with entity link SM TCP 5060 -> CAS  TCP 5060

    4. SM Create SIP entity for each MBX server and port needed.

    EX: Entity MBX-1-5062 IP 10.10.10.1 with entity link SM TCP 5062 -> MBX-1-5062 TCP 5062                               

    Entity MBX-1-5065 IP 10.10.10.1 with entity link SM TCP 5060 -> MBX-1-5065 TCP 5065

    Note: IF the SM is not listening on 5060 for the 5065 link MWI and "play on phone" will fail.  This is why you need to lockdown the worker port to 5065.

    5. SM Create routing policies for each entity.

    6. SM create regular expressions for the CAS server and each of the MBX server entities and assign to the appropriate routing policy.  The examples below are for one CAS server and one MBX server.  There are one CAS and six MBX servers in my environment, so I have 13 routing policies and 13 reg expressions.

    EX: "sip:sipms@example\.org" asign to CAS policy.

    "sip:sipms@mbx1@example\.org:5062.*" assign to MBX-1-5062 policy.

    "sip:sipms@mbx1@example\.org:5065.*" assign to MBX-1-5065 policy.

    Hopefully this is enough to get you going.  I would have killed to have this information when I started on my quest!


    • Edited by WhyDunno Monday, February 24, 2014 9:37 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 9:12 PM