none
Full System Restore to a Wireless Client

Question

• I am trying to do a full system restore on my laptop which doesn't have an Ethernet port, from a backup on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials Server.  I have USB/Ethernet adapter but I can't get the drivers for the adapter to load from my USB Recovery Key.  I copied the "Drivers for Full System Restore Folder" onto the USB key, but it doesn't include the drivers for the Ethernet adapter, so I copied its driver files over to the root of the USB drive (recovery key).  When the full system restore wizard loads drivers, it finds drivers in the "Drivers for Full System Restore Folder", but not the ones I copied over for the adapter.  Of course, I can't do the restore over a wireless connection, so I don't know how I can complete the restore if I can't get the restore wizard to load drivers for the Ethernet adapter.  Obviously, I'm a novice, but I can't believe MS didn't anticipate this problem with the abundance of tablets and ultrabooks that no longer include Ethernet ports.  I sure could use some help.
    Friday, October 25, 2013 2:25 AM

Answers

• I came across exactly the same problem. And managed to solve it with some combination.

I created the USB image with PE environment. I used this: w8pese.cwcodes.net

To have wi-fi support, during the process I added to it all of the drivers. I have found them in original “Drivers for Full System Restore” folder (probably only one, specific for Wi-Fi would be enough).

After copying the image onto an USB, I added to it 785AD7EA-0C16-4F43-8AB5-F2904D22483F folder I found on standard restoration USB.

After booting, I connected to the wifi using PENetowork (included in w8pese), then run CLIENTRESTOREWIZARD.exe I copied within 785AD7EA…

It connected to the server “as by cable”. And restored successfully.

Monday, November 04, 2013 3:20 PM

All replies

• Have you tried putting the drivers in the Drivers folder?

The only other explanation i can think of is that maybe the USB root hub driver is not installed as well - i haven't used the restore program for a while so i dont know if you can use shift f-10 to drop out to a cmd and load up device manager.. will check it out.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, October 25, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I tried it both ways--with the drivers in the "drivers" folder and with the drivers in the root drive.
    Friday, October 25, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Does it actually recognise that their is an ethernet adapter that needs a driver?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:04 AM
  • It doesn't look like it.  When I initiate the full system restore, it starts out with a list of devices--network devices and storage devices.  The only one listed in the network services is " Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter".  When I click on "install drivers", it scans the USB drive and then adds "Realtek RTL8723A Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter" to the list, but not the Ethernet adapter.

Is there any way for me to retrieve the backup image from the server and copy it on to a USB drive or a separate partition and do a system image recovery that way?  Or use Windows 8 System Image Recovery to recover a backup stored on the server?  I tried using System Image Recovery and it DOES recognize the USB Ethernet adapter, but I don't know how to locate the backup image on the server or if it can use that image to restore.  I looked in the client computer backups folder on the server and I'm not sure which is the backup image.

The irony is that I set up this Server so that I could effortlessly restore backup images to my home computers.  So frustrating that the backup is in place and I can't get to it.

I foolishly updated to Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo Yoga 13 and it has rendered my laptop practically unusable.  I just want to downgrade back to Windows 8.  I appreciate any help.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:24 PM
  • I came across exactly the same problem. And managed to solve it with some combination.

I created the USB image with PE environment. I used this: w8pese.cwcodes.net

To have wi-fi support, during the process I added to it all of the drivers. I have found them in original “Drivers for Full System Restore” folder (probably only one, specific for Wi-Fi would be enough).

After copying the image onto an USB, I added to it 785AD7EA-0C16-4F43-8AB5-F2904D22483F folder I found on standard restoration USB.

After booting, I connected to the wifi using PENetowork (included in w8pese), then run CLIENTRESTOREWIZARD.exe I copied within 785AD7EA…

It connected to the server “as by cable”. And restored successfully.

Monday, November 04, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Thank you, Wujek.  Very interesting solution, and I will give it a try.  I so appreciate you taking the time to post it.
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:21 AM