none
Issues with Secondary Management servers - Cannot set availability on a health service that doesn't exist

General discussion

• Hi All.

I have run into an issue whilst installing Service Manager 2012 SP1 in a scale out scenario.  the deployment is as follows:

2 x DB Server (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1/SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 CU5)

1 x SSRS (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1/SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 CU5)

3 x MS (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - 1 for Workflow and 2 for Consoles)

1 x DW (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

The issue is that the two secondary Console Management Servers appear to not be registered correctly with the management group.  On both of these servers I am seeing the following events in event viewer:

Log Name:      Operations Manager
    Source:        DataAccessLayer
    Date:          06/03/2013 20:49:35
    Event ID:      33333
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVERNAME.x.y.z
    Description:
    Data Access Layer rejected retry on SqlError:
     Request: UpdateAvailability -- (BaseManagedEntityId=93975cff-b5b6-c059-4a2a-673e514774e4), (IsAvailable=True), (ReasonCode=0), (TimeGenerated=06/03/2013 20:49:35), (RETURN_VALUE=1)
     Class: 16
     Number: 777980050
     Message: Cannot set availability on a health service that doesn't exist.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Operations Manager
    Source:        OpsMgr Root Connector
    Date:          06/03/2013 20:49:35
    Event ID:      28000
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVERNAME.x.y.z
    Description:
    The Root connector received an exception from the SDK Service while submitting task status:

Cannot set availability on a health service that doesn't exist.

I have deleted the Health Service State Cache on both the workflow Management Server and COnsole Management server, and still the same errors.  Also, when I have checked for the BaseManagedEntityId in the dbo.BaseManagedEntity table in the Service Manager database, there is no reference the ID mentioned in the events generated.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?  Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Shaun

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hello again.

So, I believe I have found the problem......and it looks like an issue with the installation routine for green-field Service Manager 2012 SP1 installations with secondary management servers.  Effectively, it looks like the installation routine of the first Management Server in the Management Group uses the FQDN of the server to generate the Health Service BaseManagedEntityID. However, the second and subsequent Management Servers appear to use the NetBIOS name of the server.  This results in the BaseManagedEntityID in the database for the secondary Management Servers being different to those actually used by the secondary Management Server.  I've blogged about this here:

http://shaunlaughton.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/service-manager-2012-sp1-secondary-management-servercannot-set-availability-on-a-health-service-that-doesnt-exist/

I know an ex-colleague has run into this issue recently and has raised a call with PSS, and is awaiting feedback on this.

To work around this issue, I installed I reinstalled all of my management servers with Service Manager 2012 RTM. Then upgraded these to the latest Update Rollup. Finally I upgraded all the Management Servers to SP1.  All Management Servers then join the Management Group successfully.

Hope this helps someone out of a hole.  :)

Cheers

Shaun

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Dear Shaun!

We have got same problem in enviroment.

Can you give me some information about Microsoft answer?

Could they help anythig your ex-collegaue?

Unfortunately in our enviroment the MT_HealthService db is empty but without this we can use the MS servers.

Gábor

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Any more news on this?

I will use your work around if I absolutely must but prefer not to of course.

Also, am I only requred to install the RTM, upgrade, etc. on the additional management servers or do I also need to do this with the first management server as well?

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Update: A hotfix for this issue has been released. If you are blocked by this issue please call support and they should be able to get you unblocked.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2013/04/22/service-manager-2012-sp1-secondary-management-server-cannot-set-availability-on-a-health-service-that-doesn-t-exist.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Javo Mejia|Colombia| Blog: http://javomejia.glup.com.co

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:30 PM
  • So we have to call MS to get the hotfix?
    Monday, June 24, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Hi Herb. 

Yes this is correct.  Also, if you plan on deploying more than one MS, you must obtain the hotfix BEFORE from deploy your second MS.  The hotfix is a new MSI, with modified custom actions.

HTH

Cheers

Shaun

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:07 PM
  • @Shaun

Did you received the hotfix?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:40 PM
  • I already have 2 MS.  Can I apply the hot fix to the first one then rebuild the second one?
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:47 PM
  • @Herb

Premier told me that we must use a new installer as @Shaun Says. you should call to support in order to obtain that installer and then you have to reinstall the secondary management server with the new installer.

Cheers.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:51 PM
  • Hi Javo,

I understand that I need to use the new installer for the secondary management server but what about my exisiting, primary server?  Can I simply uninstall my secondary server and rebuild with the new installer?

Thanks,

Herb

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Hello,

Yes you should only reinstall you secondary MS, your primary MS does not need any action.

Regards,

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:16 PM