We waited a couple of days before updating our computers and intalled the patches on Thursday. Friday we started to notice that several users could not use network resources. We have 2008R2 based AD and most people are using Win7. We have not made any changes to our network, just updated DC computers and workstations with latest patches.
I have not found other similar situations, so I am wondering are we the only one.
What updates/patches has you used?
Start with simple connectivity tests with ping on DNS and list here output from ipconfig /all
Reinstall network driver and if this does not help reset winsock with netsh function.
Always give more information for faster solution of problem.
I do not think the problem is with Network drivers. We installed all the critical patches for last Tuesday set.
I can see the problem by trying to list \\server (a Windows file server). even though I am logged in with my Windows account the file Explorer asks for credentials again. If I give them everything is fine, but I think something is wrong. This happens on many Computers.
If I try to rejoin a Computer to domain it does not find a DC.
My own Computer works fine and all the services run OK. My own Computer is on a different Network and it is also Win8.1.
Is there any error message in event log on your DC ?
Please check this article for troubleshooting:
If you have any feedback on our support, please click here
I can not se anything that could be connected to this problem in the Event log in DC's. I am wondering if the problem is connected to IPv6 and DNS. Our Network does not route IPv6 traffic, but it seems to me the Windows DNS seems to distribute IPv6 adresses. I am wondering if there is something I can do about that?
When I give command
I first get IPv6 addresses and then IPv4 addresses. This is not very nice.
I think deactivating IPv6 did not help. I do not dare to totally remove IPv6 from the DC servers as Microsoft seems to stress that Windows is not tested without it.
I noticed that the connection between Workstation and Domain is not totally disconnected, it feels like it is in a workgroup. In a few cases we were able to get the connection work by going back to a restore point (before the Patch Tuesday updates).
The only reliable solution has been to rejoin workstations to Domain, but it is very labour intensive work. My current estimate is that we must do it with about 20 % of workstations.
I suppose the issue is related to NIC, please try to setup a new NIC like the same as your own computer and give it the most priority.
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.