none
Agent Status - Angents: Unknown

Question

• Hi I got a problem with a handful of machines in SCE 2010 where under:

Computers

All Windows Computers

Agent Status is showing as Unknown

If I try to Collect Inventory on it, I get the following task error "The location monitoring object is not managed."

and this in the event logs:

An exception was thrown while processing SubmitTasks for session id uuid:7a845479-34d5-402f-af01-87e16b574846;id=1.
     Exception Message: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason.
     Full Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationMonitoringObjectNotManagedException]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason. (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationMonitoringObjectNotManagedException: The location monitoring object is not managed.).

here's what I see

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello MIke,

The agent status Unknown can occur if the interval between heartbeats from the agent computer is more than 10 minutes.

Make sure the problematic computers are alive and you can ping them from the SCE server.

Please also refer to the article below to see if it helps:

Troubleshooting ‘Unknown’ software and update status, ‘Not yet contacted’ and lack of hardware and software inventory
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/03/29/troubleshooting-unknown-software-and-update-status-not-yet-contacted-and-lack-of-hardware-and-software-inventory.aspx

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Hi Yog Li,

Thanks for your assistance.

I did see the link you provided prior to posting this query, but it seams more around Alert Status and Update Status which are both reporting fine in these instaces, where it's the agent status that I've got the issues with.

Just to confirm the machines with Unknown Agent Status are pingable.

I've also gone into:

Administration

Agent Managed

And tried to run a repair on the agent, but get the error "Help Serivce 'Computer Name' in which the location monitoing object is contained is not available. Mare sure that the computer hosting the Health Service is available and verify the health service is running"

Here is the additional information for the error:

Note:  The following information was gathered when the operation was attempted.  The information may appear cryptic but provides context for the error.  The application will continue to run.

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationMonitoringObjectNotAvailableException: Health Service 'SCE 2010 Server' in which the location monitoring object is contained is not available. Make sure that the computer hosting the Health Service is available and verify that the Health Service is running.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.SdkDataAbstractionLayer.HandleSubmitTaskIndigoExceptions(Exception ex)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAbstractionLayer.AdministrationOperations.RepairAgents(Guid batchId, IList`1 jobDefinitions)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Administration.ManagementServer.SubmitRepairAgentsInternal(IList`1 agentServerNamePairsList, RepairAgentConfiguration repairAgentConfiguration, MonitoringTaskStatusChangeCallback callback)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Administration.ManagementServer.SubmitRepairAgents(IList`1 agentManagedComputers, RepairAgentConfiguration repairAgentConfiguration, MonitoringTaskStatusChangeCallback callback)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Administration.ModifyAgent.<>c__DisplayClass4.<OnOk>b__0(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Here is a thread which disscussed a same issue:

Issue when repairing and/or attempting to uninstall SCE agent
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenteressentials/thread/b1972f84-c29a-4c68-9fb9-e894cef094ec/

Please follow the instructions by Nicholas to see if it helps,

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Hi Mike,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Monday, December 06, 2010 9:14 AM
  • I'm having this issue also. The last 3 PC's I've installed all come back with the agent status as Unknown.  They all get correctly put in the All Windows Computers group, but not the All windows clients group or a dynamic defined group that I have created myself.  Before these 3 I have installed around 15 identical PC's over the last week and all have been fine. The only way I can get the PC's in to my group is to explicitly add them.  The PC's are also missing some info from the general section.  the OS is listed correctly as is model and manfacturer but Description, asset tag, and bios are empty and memory is listed as unknown
    Friday, October 12, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Ok this issue is now getting to be a pain!  ANY new clients I install now have Agent Status as unknown this makes certain task impossible to do :o(
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:05 AM
  • going to bump this as we still have the issue and its a right royal PAIN!
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:48 PM
  • Same issue here, 68 machines added absolutely no problem then the last 4 all have agent status unknown.

All machines were deployed using the same windows 7 syspreped image, There are no communication problems as they all install updates and software packages from SCE without fault.

They don't pull down the description and as mentioned earlier a handful of other data about the machines.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by dtghelp Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dtghelp Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:26 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 1:52 PM
  • ahhh glad there's someone else!  Thats at least 3 of us LOL.  It started here months back, no changes had been made and we already had well over 200 machines installed and working fine, and then BHAM! out of the blue every machine we install since has the same issue agent status unknown plus the other symptons
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:02 PM
  • I'll have another go at bumping this.  Still got the issue and also another side effect (suspecting its linked) is that clients aren't automatically added to any dynamic group, either ones I have created or built in groups such as All Windows Clients, which is also a pain as I have to added them to groups explicitly (which of course you can't do for All windows clients, etc)
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:05 AM
  • bump
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:08 AM