none
service unavailable http error 503 Application pool Stopped for the Web Appliaction

Question

• i am getting service unavailable http error 503 while opening a site in Sharepoint

When i checked IIS, i found out that Application pool Stopped for the Web Application.

So, i started it and then again launched the site...yet it still shows the same error and the pool is automatically stopped.

Please help..

Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hi NabX,

Based on your description, I can suggest as follow:

1. Check the web site properties in IIS. Under home directory tab, check the application pool value and then open that application pool from the application pools (separate node in the IIS tree). Click the identity tab and see who is the pool assigned to. For the sake of testing, you can select "Predefined" and select local service from the drop down. Restart IIS and see if things work out for you. Http 503 error is generated by the IIS and it happens when web server sends data stream back to the web site.
    2. Verify that all SharePoint services are started, this error might occur because of changing the service account password. You may need to change the new password to application pool or SharePoint timer service. Click the stopped application pool -> click advanced settings ->Identity ->click the user to retype the user ->Application Pool Identity dialog ->click set -> manually type the user name and password. Then restart the server.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi NabX,

Based on your description, I can suggest as follow:

1. Check the web site properties in IIS. Under home directory tab, check the application pool value and then open that application pool from the application pools (separate node in the IIS tree). Click the identity tab and see who is the pool assigned to. For the sake of testing, you can select "Predefined" and select local service from the drop down. Restart IIS and see if things work out for you. Http 503 error is generated by the IIS and it happens when web server sends data stream back to the web site.
    2. Verify that all SharePoint services are started, this error might occur because of changing the service account password. You may need to change the new password to application pool or SharePoint timer service. Click the stopped application pool -> click advanced settings ->Identity ->click the user to retype the user ->Application Pool Identity dialog ->click set -> manually type the user name and password. Then restart the server.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:53 AM
  • Thanks alot, i had same error but now its resolved..........once again thanks..
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 6:20 AM
  • i tried this one...working..thanks

abbijohn

• Proposed as answer by abbijohn Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by abbijohn Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:10 AM
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:54 PM
  • Qiao,

You can check your website for specifically mapped application pool, now check whether application pool is running or not otherwise restart application pool. here is a article which displays how to resolve issue  with video 

thanks,

• Edited by Anjan Kant Friday, April 18, 2014 5:01 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Excellent, Thanks for the solution.
    Monday, May 12, 2014 11:59 AM
  • Thank you very much, i had the same error and i have resolved it by following yours suggestions.

Best Regards,

Waseem Khan

Friday, June 27, 2014 6:04 AM