none
Unable to Import SSRS Report

Question

• Hi All,

I am importing the ssrs report from "Report Server" . The report is holding the 3 parameter start and end date and (drop-down) with some bunch of values .Below is the image

When I select up-to 2 to 3 values in drop-down I am able to import the report in Pivot.But when I try to import with all the values of parameter drop-down .It is showing error as below.Can any one help me how can I solve this

Thanks,

Sid

• Edited by siddiqali Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:29 PM

Answers

• This is definitely due to the multi-select parameter, which Power Pivot doesn't play well with at all. See this connect item: http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/771507/powerpivot-ssrs-with-multi-valued-parameters-xml-parsing-failed-at-line-xxxx-column-36-illegal-xml-character#tabs

In this case, and based on your initial screenshot, the only workaround I know of right now is to:

1) Run the SSRS report with the parameter combination that you want to use in your Power Pivot

2) Export the SSRS report as a data feed (see screenshot in my blog post here: http://www.leonardmurphy.com/blog/powerpivot_ssrs_xml_parsing_failed)

3) Save the data feed file somewhere that Power Pivot can access it (i.e. the same folder)

4) In Power Pivot, rather than doing an SSRS import, choose 'Data Feed' and browse to the data feed file that you exported.

A data feed export from SSRS is simply a file that points back to the SSRS URL - it isn't an export of the data. The data coming into Power Pivot using this solution will still be current. For some reason Power Pivot doesn't work with a multi-valued SSRS report directly, but has no problem going via a middleman (in this case the data feed).

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 09, 2014 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Siddiqali,

What's the versions of your SQL Sever PowerPivot for Excel? Please try to perform a test by using the latest SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel version. I tried to repro this issue on my test environment but failed, please help to collect the windows event log information.

Furthermore, I want to confirm with you that does the report rendered correctly in the "Table Import Wizard" dialog? We can click the "Test connection" button to get more information if there is a problem. Here is the screenshot below:

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:44 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

I am using sql server 2008 r2 and my excel version is 2013.Please share the steps or screen shots so that i can find solution from your steps.Else i will be posting the screen shots and share the link. Hope you reply me

Thanks, 

Sid

• Edited by siddiqali Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:37 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:41 PM
  • Hi Elvis,

I am using sql server 2008 r2 and my excel version is 2013.Please share the steps or screen shots so that i can find solution from your steps.Else i will be posting the screen shots and share the link. Hope you reply me

Thanks, 

Sid

Sid, we'll need the info Elvis asked for. We can't repro.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, June 01, 2014 3:59 PM
  • Hi Elvis & Ed,

The Test-Connection is fine.

Thanks, Quality Communication Provides Quality Work. http://siddiq-sharepoint2010.blogspot.in/ Siddiqali Mohammad .

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 9:14 AM
  • This is definitely due to the multi-select parameter, which Power Pivot doesn't play well with at all. See this connect item: http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/771507/powerpivot-ssrs-with-multi-valued-parameters-xml-parsing-failed-at-line-xxxx-column-36-illegal-xml-character#tabs

In this case, and based on your initial screenshot, the only workaround I know of right now is to:

1) Run the SSRS report with the parameter combination that you want to use in your Power Pivot

2) Export the SSRS report as a data feed (see screenshot in my blog post here: http://www.leonardmurphy.com/blog/powerpivot_ssrs_xml_parsing_failed)

3) Save the data feed file somewhere that Power Pivot can access it (i.e. the same folder)

4) In Power Pivot, rather than doing an SSRS import, choose 'Data Feed' and browse to the data feed file that you exported.

A data feed export from SSRS is simply a file that points back to the SSRS URL - it isn't an export of the data. The data coming into Power Pivot using this solution will still be current. For some reason Power Pivot doesn't work with a multi-valued SSRS report directly, but has no problem going via a middleman (in this case the data feed).

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 09, 2014 2:37 AM