none
hard drive-running very loud and fast.

Question

• I am not sure if I am at the right place; but when I went to the  Microsoft site to research help on some of the issues below, I started with a search on the errors and I was directed here and then noticed a Forum a question that included an issue related to  "attribute record 128..."    Maybe not all Attribute Record 128 problems are related but any help you can provide or direct me to would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Microsoft Vista as my operating system (PC home computer). 

The "Problem"
    During some software programs the disk starts to run very Fast and Loud, it starts off slowly (swapping back and forth) and then it escalates and runs faster and faster, and louder and louder until it sounds like its going to crash (it is extreme) at which point (or before) I close the program that started the event and then the disk quiets down and runs normally again.   The sound is to one that a laptop might make when it is overheated; and of course, I don't know, but I don't think that is the issue with this computer. 

It doesn't happen with all programs and in fact not most of the programs I run; it happens with computer maintenance programs, it happens with an occasional game, and it happens with some other graphic intensive programs; but it seems to be triggered by something about the software and it disk use -I am guessing the software requries a lot of memory. It has never happened with just "regular" home use (internet, word processing..)

I have tried letting it run at that extreme level to see if, given more time, it would stop on its own, but it doesn't. 

Other information that may be related:  

Recently I tried Norton System Works to see if it might be able to help me diagnosis and fix the problem: 

The "OPTIMIZE PROGRAM" informs me: my C disk cannot be optimized because "  "the volume is marked as dirty. you must run chkdsk on the volume to correct any problems before you attempt to defragment it again."  

When I run the "CHECK DISK" program informs me that I have an "Error on Hard disk -2 master partition table is unreadable, Master Partition Table is physically damaged."   It then asks me whether I want it to fix it and I say "Yes" it then informs me:  "Only a low level format will correct the error found."

The DISK DOCTOR program report indicates no problems except for one area entitled "FILE STRUCTURE STATUS" and it states:  Attribute record (128 ") from file record segment 27855 is corrupt;  Attribute record (128 ") from file record segment 70907 is corrupt;  Attribute record (128 ") from file record segment 79550 is corrupt;  Attribute record (128 ") from file record segment 79625 is corrupt. 

My Question are these problems related?  If so, can I, as a novice, fix them?  If yes,  is there a program or instructions to help me do that?   Or, do I simply need an expert to fix it or replace the disk?  

I would appreciate any help or referral to sources of help you can provide.  Thank-you for your time.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:37 PM

Answers

• After checking the issue, it seems this is a general system/hardware related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows Vista:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsvistaitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Also, based on the symptom, this can be a hard disk issue. I suggest you back up your data first and then try a low level format or replace the hard disk.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:59 AM