none
win2k8 r2 low disk space

Question

• Windows 2008 R2 sp1

we initially started with a 70GB partition for drive C: and after a few months (this installation is less than a year old) I found the free space to be only 2GB. there is another drive on this server with 500GB but used for file sharing with users.

I've done a search and there are no unnecessary files in drive C: that could have taken so much space. only folder i'm left with to investigate is C:\Windows folder. I found, and learned, that the C:\Windows\winsxs folder should not be touched (which is bad coz that's a big one) so what else could be eating those space and how can I control it so that I won't have to keep increasing the partition size?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:30 AM

Answers

• finally found the culprit!

it was "c:\windows\system32\winevt\logs" directory that is growing. apparently, the "security" settings in event viewer for was left at archive instead of overwrite. my bad I know.

anyway I found a tool that gave me a visual representation of my directories and immediately saw what's occupying the most space. the tool is called "SpaceSniffer".

• Marked as answer by Rino Mardo Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:54 AM

All replies