none
If a bitwise server process on MSSQL server is shutdown. Is the Database still accessible?

Question

• Hi All,

If a bitwise server process on MSSQL server is shutdown. Is the Database still accessible?Colud you please clear my dought

Thank you

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:28 PM

Answers

• If MSSQLSERVER service is in shutdown mode database present in that SQL server instance wont be accessible.

I dont understand what are you referring with Bitwise server process

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:38 PM
  • No one here know what a "bitwise server process" is.  It's not part of SQL Server.

But assuming it's some 3rd party Windows Service, and assuming that no one has configured the SQL Server service to be dependent on that service, then SQL Server should be available after shutting it down.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:58 PM

All replies

• If MSSQLSERVER service is in shutdown mode database present in that SQL server instance wont be accessible.

I dont understand what are you referring with Bitwise server process

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Developers in my team want to know If a bitwise server process on MSSQL server is shutdown still Is the Database still accessible?
    Monday, November 04, 2013 7:37 PM
  • No one here know what a "bitwise server process" is.  It's not part of SQL Server.

But assuming it's some 3rd party Windows Service, and assuming that no one has configured the SQL Server service to be dependent on that service, then SQL Server should be available after shutting it down.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:58 PM
  • As others have pointed out the answer to this question depends entirely on providing some more detail around what this bitwise process is. Are you able to provide more technical detail of this?

Making the assumption that you are running queries against SQL Server that somehow use bitwise operations my generic answer would be: SQL Server will always try to ensure that all databases are maintained in a consistent state. This is robust under normal query usage. If, however, SQL Server's processes are somehow subverted by forcing a process to shutdown - or altering bits of data outside the SQL process then it is possible that a database will be put into a suspect state and become inaccessible.

Regards, Matt Bowler MCITP, My blog | SQL Services

Monday, November 04, 2013 9:15 PM