none
Windows Embedded Standard 7 vs Windows Embedded POSReady 7

Question

• Hi.

What is the difference between Windows Embedded Standard 7 and Windows Embedded POSReady 7?

When should I prefer the Windows Embedded POSReady 7?

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:36 PM

Answers

• Basically, WES 7 breaks down the operating system into feature packages so you can select which features of the OS you want. POSReady 7 is intended for Point of Service solutions addressing payment card industry standard compliances, and the OS is simply installed from DVD.

Can you share what you are working on?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:34 PM

All replies

• Basically, WES 7 breaks down the operating system into feature packages so you can select which features of the OS you want. POSReady 7 is intended for Point of Service solutions addressing payment card industry standard compliances, and the OS is simply installed from DVD.

Can you share what you are working on?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hi.

Thank you for your responce.

Currently, this is pure theoretical question. I just try to understand, why Microsoft developed the OS just for payment card industry.

If the POSReady 7 is simply installed from DVD without option to choose its components, why should I to prefer it instead regular (not embedded) Windows 7.

By the way, I can install WES 7 using IBW bootable DVD and one of the templates.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:17 AM
  • I believe someone from Microsoft could explain this a little more clearly than me.

-Sean

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Leonid,

There is a way to manage features in POSReady 7, however we have not gotten to the documentation of that process yet.  Please do not post questions about POSReady 7 on this forum.  All feedback and interraction should be submitted through the Connect site where you downloaded POSReady 7 so that we can track every single issue.  We will not be answering questions about the Windows Embedded POSReady 7 Customer Technology Preview through this forum.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi, Terry.

Thank you for your responce.

I'll post the question about POSReady 7 on Connect site.

Anyway, can you please explain when should I prefer POSReady operation system instead any other Microsoft operation system?

Thank you in advance.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:57 AM