none
Active Directory Sites And Services

Question

• I wanted a step by step answer for Active Directory Sites and Services in win 2003 OR 2008. I have two laptops to play around with. So, my question is if I install Server OS on both the laptops, how could I configure and do the practice taking Active Directory Sites and Services? If it is possible to do the practice, I kindly request you to help me out if there is any step by step guide or reference that I could follow and practice on same.

Please guys help me with this!!!!

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hello csmuni,
    I try to give you a tasks list:

1. Install Windows Server OS on both laptops
    2. Configure Network Adapter TCP/IP v4 Properties (under Network Connections*) on both:

e.g.

Laptop 1
      IP Address: 172.16.1.10
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
      Primary DNS: 172.16.1.10

Laptop 2
      IP Address: 172.16.1.20

3. Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) on Laptop 1 by running DCPROMO (TechNet Library): being first run, create new Active Directory Forest, Domain, DNS.
    4. Install AD DS on Laptop 2 by running DCPROMO, but joining to existing AD environment created on step before.
    5. After checking new Active Directory env. is working fine, you can start playing with Active Directory Site and Services (Technet Library)

* - They must be connected on LAN network (preferably isolated); you can also play with a router between two notebooks simulating two geographically connected networks:

e.g.

Laptop 1
    IP Address: 172.16.1.10
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Gateway: 172.16.1.254 (router ethernet interface 1 IP Address)

Laptop 2
    IP Address: 172.18.1.10
    Gateway: 172.18.1.254 (router ethernet interface 2 IP Address)

This is a general tasks list; please, feel free to someone to implement or correct it.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:23 PM
  • this should help you 

http://www.vkernel.ro/blog/how-to-create-active-directory-sites

http://www.arabitpro.com

Monday, July 01, 2013 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hello csmuni,
    I try to give you a tasks list:

1. Install Windows Server OS on both laptops
    2. Configure Network Adapter TCP/IP v4 Properties (under Network Connections*) on both:

e.g.

Laptop 1
      IP Address: 172.16.1.10

Laptop 2
      IP Address: 172.16.1.20

3. Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) on Laptop 1 by running DCPROMO (TechNet Library): being first run, create new Active Directory Forest, Domain, DNS.
    4. Install AD DS on Laptop 2 by running DCPROMO, but joining to existing AD environment created on step before.
    5. After checking new Active Directory env. is working fine, you can start playing with Active Directory Site and Services (Technet Library)

* - They must be connected on LAN network (preferably isolated); you can also play with a router between two notebooks simulating two geographically connected networks:

e.g.

Laptop 1
    IP Address: 172.16.1.10
    Gateway: 172.16.1.254 (router ethernet interface 1 IP Address)

Laptop 2
    IP Address: 172.18.1.10
    Gateway: 172.18.1.254 (router ethernet interface 2 IP Address)

This is a general tasks list; please, feel free to someone to implement or correct it.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on "Vote As Helpful" & click on "Mark As Answer" if a post answers your question.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:23 PM
  • this should help you 

http://www.vkernel.ro/blog/how-to-create-active-directory-sites

http://www.arabitpro.com

Monday, July 01, 2013 10:57 AM
  • Hi Luca,

First of all...thank you very much for the reply. I never thought that I would get a reply to my question, but I am grateful for the reply. I will definitely try out what you have told and then get back to you on any questions!

Have a gud one!!

Bye

Csmuni

Monday, July 01, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Hello Csmuni,
    you are welcome. We are happy to help other users. ;-)
    That said take a look to link posted by Syed too: it could be helpful once AD Env. is ready.

Bye,
    Luca

Monday, July 01, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Hi Luca!

You have given me a task to do for the sites and services question that I have asked you!! but now I am facing a different problem when I get a router in the middle.  I have a  DLink 624 wireless router in my room and my comcast soho router downstairs which is the main router to access internet...

My question is can i use my Dlink 624 wireless router to connect to Comcast router (downstairs) wirelessly, so that I can directly connect to my Dlink router in my room and browse the web?? Also, I want to use the same Wireless Dlink Router 624 to separate my lab network (The two laptops that i use to play around with) from the actual home network (Comcast home wireless network)???

I tried all ways but i am not able to do that....please suggest if it is possible to connect my Dlink to comcast via wireless...(not through cable...because the distance is quite far)

Important point

My comcast router has DHCP enabled..it gives ips to all my home computers and other mobile devices

Thanks again!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Hi Syed

Thanks for the link...It really helped

I have put on one more question taking the router...Please see if you can shed some light on that!

I will be thankful!

Thanks again!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Hello csmuni,
    to answer to your first question: you could configure Dlink 624 wireless router as comcast soho router wireless signal repeater; you should place it where wireless signal from downstairs is good. Useful links:

Is your lab wired or wireless connected ? Could Dlink 624 be configured with multiple IP Address ? To configure your lab you need three IP Addresses: one for home/office network, one for laptop 1 network and laptop 2 network at last; And then, configure configure routing rules on Dlink 624 to route packets from laptop 1 network to laptop 2 network.

Bye,
    Luca

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Monday, July 08, 2013 10:13 PM Layout adjustments...
    Monday, July 08, 2013 8:21 PM