none
How to bring a Repeating Section in a SharePoint List?

Question

• Hi ,

I have a SharePoint List that i am modifying using InfoPath. I have and external List Customer that contains Customer Name,

Customer Address,Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID and i am using this list as a data source for a drop down that displays name of all the customers. Now the logic here is when i select one customer his related details should pop. So when i dragged those details from secondary connection it is coming in the form of repeating table, so in order to control it i had to use formatting rule. Now the thing that is happening is when i save the form those values are not appearing in the SharePoint List. How do i make those values appear in the SharePoint List. I am not very familiar with coding so any other way to do it will also be helpful. Please provide me with your useful suggestion.

Thanks,

Anurag

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Anurag,

According to your description, you want to display the data from the external data connection to the SharePoint list.

Per my knowledge, the values from external data showing in the repeating table cannot be displayed in SharePoint list.

The columns in the external data are not included in the SharePoint list.

I recommend to add the rest three columns(Customer Address, Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID) to SharePoint list, then make the values from the external list to be populated in the three columns based on the value selected in the Customer Name column.

Here are the detailed steps:

1. Create four columns in single line of text type in SharePoint list(Customer Name, Customer Address, Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID).
    2. Edit the list in InfoPath, add the external list Customer as an external data to InfoPath.
    3. Right click the Customer Name column, click Change Control and select Drop-Down List Box.
    4. Right click the Customer Name column, click Drop-Down List Box Properties. Select Get choices from an external data source, select Customer in Data Source.
    5. Click Select XPath behind Entries, click Customer Name in the external list Customer, click OK.
    6. Right click Customer Address field, click Text Box Properties. Click fx, click Insert Field or Group, click Show advanced view, select Customer(Secondary) in Fields, click Customer Address in the external list Customer, click Filter Data and click Add.
    7. Select Customer Name in the first text box, select is equal to in the second text box, click Select a field or group in the third text box, select Main in Fields, click Customer Name field in the InfoPath form, click OK.
    8. Right Click Customer Address field, click Display in the tab, select Read-only and click OK.
    9. Follow the step 6 to step 8 to set the corresponding values of Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID.

After that, the values of Customer Name, Customer Address, Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID will be automatically populated based on the value of Customer Name.

We can also add External Data type column in the SharePoint list and select all the needed additional fields to make all the values from the external list Customer displayed in the SharePoint list.

Best regards.

Thanks

Monday, September 30, 2013 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

Is there no way to achieve this ???

Thanks

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hi Anurag

Putting Repatign table on list InfoPath form will not be saved because in Custom List everything on form is saved in List columns, so if in case you have any display on InfoPath form which is not bind to any list column then that data will not appear again :)

Tell me when user selects the customer from drop down then you only need to save his other details email, contact which is present in same row ( marked bold ..right ?

[Customer Name, Customer Address,Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID]  <---

In Such case, create field for Customer address, Customer Phone, Email id and asssign these three where Customer Name matches the selected value in dropdown.

Hope it helps

Mark as answer if it helps

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Hi Anurag,

According to your description, you want to display the data from the external data connection to the SharePoint list.

Per my knowledge, the values from external data showing in the repeating table cannot be displayed in SharePoint list.

The columns in the external data are not included in the SharePoint list.

I recommend to add the rest three columns(Customer Address, Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID) to SharePoint list, then make the values from the external list to be populated in the three columns based on the value selected in the Customer Name column.

Here are the detailed steps:

1. Create four columns in single line of text type in SharePoint list(Customer Name, Customer Address, Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID).
    2. Edit the list in InfoPath, add the external list Customer as an external data to InfoPath.
    3. Right click the Customer Name column, click Change Control and select Drop-Down List Box.
    4. Right click the Customer Name column, click Drop-Down List Box Properties. Select Get choices from an external data source, select Customer in Data Source.
    5. Click Select XPath behind Entries, click Customer Name in the external list Customer, click OK.
    6. Right click Customer Address field, click Text Box Properties. Click fx, click Insert Field or Group, click Show advanced view, select Customer(Secondary) in Fields, click Customer Address in the external list Customer, click Filter Data and click Add.
    7. Select Customer Name in the first text box, select is equal to in the second text box, click Select a field or group in the third text box, select Main in Fields, click Customer Name field in the InfoPath form, click OK.
    8. Right Click Customer Address field, click Display in the tab, select Read-only and click OK.
    9. Follow the step 6 to step 8 to set the corresponding values of Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID.

After that, the values of Customer Name, Customer Address, Customer Phone Number and Customer Email ID will be automatically populated based on the value of Customer Name.

We can also add External Data type column in the SharePoint list and select all the needed additional fields to make all the values from the external list Customer displayed in the SharePoint list.

Best regards.

Thanks

Monday, September 30, 2013 8:12 AM