none
Question on Creating Service Map for a Software Application

Question

• Hi All
    I am currently in the process of creating Service Maps for all the Application Services for which we provide support.

I have some confusion on what needs to be included in the section for Application Streams. The e.g given in the Microsoft site is for Windows Vista Desktop service (which is somewhat different). The maps being created by me are for an Application Service (e.g SAP)

Looking for any sample/templates/guidance/tips on how to define that Stream.

Regards
    SP

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:53 PM

Answers

• The MOF team currently has plans to produce further guidance for creating service maps in 2010. But before that work is available there are some perspectives of services that might help you construct your maps.

Starting at the top-level (closest to the end user experience of the service) is the IT Business Service. Examples of IT Business Services include enterprise resource management (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), e-mail, or any custom LOB application used to support a business process. These services are often known to end users by business process names, such as order entry, payroll, invoicing, etc. These business processes make use of various IT Technical Services to help provide line-of-business (LOB) applications.

Examples of IT Technical Services include identity and access management, data lifecycle management, anti-virus, and unified communications management. IT Technical Services are used and combined to provide IT Business Services.

The technical services themselves are made up of component technologies that may be combined in various ways. The component technologies are individual technologies such as Active Directory (AD), Internet Information Services (IIS), or Domain Name Service (DNS). These components are the building blocks of IT Technical Services.

The IT Business Service is the application stream you are asking about. In that stream you will indicate the major applications that make the business service possible, but you should distinguish the application stream from the IT Technical Services.

Perhaps the best rule-of-thumb is to think of the application stream as the most “single-purposed” stream on the service map. It is intended to yield the final end-user experience. In the old SAP R/3 days (drawing on outdated information from my "back-in-the-day" experience with SAP), R/3 would be part of the technical stream along with monitoring services such as SCOM, while the SAP modules (FICO, MM, SD, etc) would each be an application stream. SQL, IIS, and AD would be component services, combined to help deliver the technical services.

Don Lemmex MOF Program Manager
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:08 AM

All replies

• The MOF team currently has plans to produce further guidance for creating service maps in 2010. But before that work is available there are some perspectives of services that might help you construct your maps.

Starting at the top-level (closest to the end user experience of the service) is the IT Business Service. Examples of IT Business Services include enterprise resource management (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), e-mail, or any custom LOB application used to support a business process. These services are often known to end users by business process names, such as order entry, payroll, invoicing, etc. These business processes make use of various IT Technical Services to help provide line-of-business (LOB) applications.

Examples of IT Technical Services include identity and access management, data lifecycle management, anti-virus, and unified communications management. IT Technical Services are used and combined to provide IT Business Services.

The technical services themselves are made up of component technologies that may be combined in various ways. The component technologies are individual technologies such as Active Directory (AD), Internet Information Services (IIS), or Domain Name Service (DNS). These components are the building blocks of IT Technical Services.

The IT Business Service is the application stream you are asking about. In that stream you will indicate the major applications that make the business service possible, but you should distinguish the application stream from the IT Technical Services.

Perhaps the best rule-of-thumb is to think of the application stream as the most “single-purposed” stream on the service map. It is intended to yield the final end-user experience. In the old SAP R/3 days (drawing on outdated information from my "back-in-the-day" experience with SAP), R/3 would be part of the technical stream along with monitoring services such as SCOM, while the SAP modules (FICO, MM, SD, etc) would each be an application stream. SQL, IIS, and AD would be component services, combined to help deliver the technical services.

Don Lemmex MOF Program Manager
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Hello

I'm picking up this thread, as I am also attempting to build a SAP CRM 'Business' Service Map. My intention with this service map is not to monitor or recognize any technical services, but instead only to register the components of the Business Service - the specs, training content etc, as part of the service and register these (at a high level) as CI's in SCSM, within an overall SAP CRM service hierarchy.

If I can do this, we can use the SCSM Change Management function to manage changes to the SAP CRM solution.

I have tried to build a business service directly in SCSM, but it doesn't seem possible? Alternatively, I am informed that the building of a non-technically enabled business service is only possible in SCOM, then it needs to be imported into SCSM?

If there are any specific references as to how (if possible) this can be achieved, I would love a copy!

Thanks

Stuart

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:17 AM