none
SQL 2008 cluster & DTC ip addresses

Question

• Hello when installing SQL 2008 cluster & MSDTC can any of these be assigned private ip addresses or one of them or none?  Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can have private or public IPs as you want, and you can have NAT between public and private IPs used on your network.

You can configure your firewall to accept requests on from one public PC after configuring the cluster with private IPs.

You can also configure forward from public IP to private IPs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have used private IP address when using iSCSI. Imagine you have one VLAN with servers and one VLAN with database servers only. For the second VLAN  you can use iSCSI and use private IP addresses to allow remote connections.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Thanks Alberto for your reply, much appreciated.  But was curious on specifically if SQL Server network IP address & MSDTC network IP address can function serving their services with an assigned Private IP address or do they must be Public IP addresses?
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Hello,

You can have private or public IPs as you want, and you can have NAT between public and private IPs used on your network.

You can configure your firewall to accept requests on from one public PC after configuring the cluster with private IPs.

You can also configure forward from public IP to private IPs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Trying to assign a private IP in Windows 2008 r2 cluster (Server Manager -> Features -> Failover Cluster Manager -> ClusterName -> Services and applications -> Configure a Service or Application... -> Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC) -> which I can't change the 'Networks' address to reflect the Private IP that I want to use in the 'Address' column next to it on the right.  When I put in the Private IP & click next it won't allow to the next screen and says 'The address '###.###.###.###' is not valid for its associated network.'  which thought a Private IP could be used for DTC ?
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:12 AM
  • Hello,

It could be an issue related to IP subnetting or the configuration of your switch.

Are you using one NIC or two NICs?

What are the IPs involved?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 1:27 AM