none
Word and Excel 2013: Excessive use of CPU

Question

• Hello: 

For some reason, Word/Excel is utilizing 100% of cpu when typing in letters/numbers.  This is the case even when nothing else is open.   I am running win 7 64 bit, 2.8ghz quad core, 16 gb ram.

I cant even type without a major delay.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Test with Wordpad and another program. Same Results? Your keyclicks may be getting recorded.

Run Virus Scan etc.

Defrag.

Do you have any other office programs installed like Office 2007?

Chris Ward

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Not same results.  Word and Excel eat up all my CPU when I type.  I am experiencing huge delays when I type.  Furthermore, it appears to be interfering with my internet connection because my cloud music delays and or stops whenever I use word or excel.   I can use other CPU and memory intense applications like photoshop or illustrator with no slowdown or connectivity issues. 
    Friday, September 27, 2013 1:46 PM
  • The problem manifests for you when using those programs but the issue is not caused by Office 2013.

You need to find the root cause of the problem.

1. What were your results of virus scan and what version of detection did you use?
    2. What were the results of Defrag?
    3. Do you have multiple versions of office products installed? Including any Microsoft Products that could be part of the office suite like; Access, Excel, Word, Outlook, Visio, Power Point, Publisher, etc.
    4. Have you tried uninstall / reinstall of Word and Excel.
    5. Are your versions of Word and Excel independently installed or are they part of the Office Suite installation.
    6. Are you sure it is Word & Excel 2013 and not Office 365?
    7. Click Start / Type resmon / Select Resource Monitor prior to opening Word or Excel. When you open either Word or Excel the CPU monitor should spike momentarily to establish the Blue Line and shortly the green line falls to the current use leaving the Blue line as a top marker. Res Mon gives you multiple views to see what and how much of your resources are being used and when. Look to the left side and sort the list on the CPU Column to see which program is really using the resources.

Chris Ward

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:58 PM
  • 1. Virus scan clean. 

3. This is office 2013 suite installed.

4. No.

5. see 3.

6. yes

7. clearly shows spiking due to word only...occupies up to 100%  whenever I type.  even scrolling maxes out cpu.  

Saturday, September 28, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Try to repair or totally reinstall Office suite in your machine.

Do you use any specific IME (input method)?  Does it happen in Windows clean boot or even in Windows safe mode (press F8 in the beginning of Windows start)?

Windows clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Tony Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:33 AM
  • It's a problem with animations.  Following this advice cut my cpu usage in half while typing.  Even so, 50% of my cpu just to type is crazy, but at least it's better.

Do this:

http://www.askvg.com/tip-improve-microsoft-office-2013-performance-by-disabling-unnecessary-animations/

• Proposed as answer by Muggleborn Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:14 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:13 AM