none
Old primary WSUS server crashed - install on new server and keep approvals?

Question

• I have a 3.2 installation with one primary and two downstream replicas (all running 3.2.7600.226).

Moving the primary installation to a new server was on my roadmap for this quarter, but, wouldn't you know it, the hardware crapped out on me before I had a chance to do it, and without a recent, valid backup. FAIL.

Both downstream replicas I have are working fine (yay) and clients are still updating from them as I use GPOs and client-side targeting, but obviously I can't make any new approvals as they're replicas, not the primary

So, my question is this: can I install WSUS on a new server as the new primary, and have it pull all my approvals from one of the downstream replicas without having access to the original primary server (i.e. no update files and no metadata)?

Or, failing that, is there an easy way to 'flip' a replica server into being the primary, install the new server and synchronise, then 'flip' the servers back?

The reason I want to do this is because the primary is at my main datacentre, with the two replicas being at branch offices (with much less internet bandwidth)

Thanks

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers