none
Installing SQL 2005 64 bit client

Question

• We're running 32 bit SQL 2005 on server 2003.  I want to install 64 bit client on my w7 workstation.  Our discs are MS SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition (32 bit).  Can I use 64 bit on workstation client and if so, where can I find the install pkg?
    • Moved by Tom Phillips Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:50 PM Installation question
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• As i understand you want to install SSMS/client on win 7 you can download it from this link.Please read install instruction and system requirement carefully before installing

You can also install SQL server 2005 Express edition ,it's free it also has client tools in it.

Just provided you 2 option.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Can I use 64 bit on workstation client and if so, where can I find the install pkg?

The architecture 32/64 bit of server and/or client are completely transparent for both side; so it doesn't matter if one is 32 and an other is 64 bit.

You can get the client installer from SQL Server feature pack, e.g. Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - December 2008 => sqlncli_x64.msi (sqlncli = SQL Server Native Client).

But on Windows 7 the client is already installed with the OS.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hi SCBabe,

•For all editions except the Express Edition of SQL Server 2008 that can run on Windows 7, but we need to install at least SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1)after completing the SQL Server 2008 installation. And the Express Edition already includes Service Pack 1.

•For all editions of SQL Server 2005 that can run on Windows 7 ,but we need to install at least SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (SP3) after completing the SQL Server 2005 installation.

We can download the installation packages of SQL Server from the Microsoft official download center.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/default.aspx

Including : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:44 AM