none
Best Practice for using SharePoint 2013 in a medium organization!

General discussion

• I'm going to deploy SharePoint 2013 in my company ( Small to Medium organization ) ,and I want to discuss the best way to use it with all departments.

I have about 7 departments (ex; HR, Legal ,Finance, IT, Technical, Commercial) 

First I want to design and implement the Intranet, What is the best practices to design best intranet? 

And what is the examples to use the SharePoint over another departments?

If every one can share his experience , how he is using the features of SharePoint and how he did it, it will be so useful. 
    • Edited by AmrHamam Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:51 AM adding a line
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:49 AM

All replies

•    1. Need to specify hardware number of servers:

• Volume of data in MB
    • Number of Users
    • Do you need staging Development Server
    • Do need Backup Servers

2. Need to specify structure of Sites

• Will you create separate web applications for each department (Preferred if we use separate DNS for each site)
    • Will you create site collection for each department. (Better if you have big volume of content for each department best database size less than 200 GB or has separate administrator manage theme, navigation, and users)
    • Will we use sub site for each department (preferred if All sites share same users, navigation, and themes for maintainability)

Tarek Yehia

Blog: http://sharepointserver-2007.blogspot.com/

Tarek Yehia

Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:58 AM
  • This will probably be useful for ya :).

http://www.discoversharepoint.com/

Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:07 PM
  •    1. Need to specify hardware number of servers:

• Volume of data in MB
    • Number of Users
    • Do you need staging Development Server
    • Do need Backup Servers

2. Need to specify structure of Sites

• Will you create separate web applications for each department (Preferred if we use separate DNS for each site)
    • Will you create site collection for each department. (Better if you have big volume of content for each department best database size less than 200 GB or has separate administrator manage theme, navigation, and users)
    • Will we use sub site for each department (preferred if All sites share same users, navigation, and themes for maintainability)

Tarek Yehia

Blog: http://sharepointserver-2007.blogspot.com/

Tarek Yehia

Hello Tarek,

Lets talk about the structure, 

What about managed paths? I have about 150 - 200 users in different departments, lets have an example like legal department, it has an internal document library with custom approval workflow, which no one can view this documents without permission, but there is another legal library contain public documents which is accessible by anyone ( Policy documents and this matters ) and editable by legal users only.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:16 AM
  • This will probably be useful for ya :).

http://www.discoversharepoint.com/

I'm checking it ,, thanx
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Managed Path used if you want create multiple site collection in same web application:

httoL//server/managedpath/sitecoolectionurl

You need to create 2 document library each of them has unique permissions. You can enable workflow on first document library.

For different permissions you can use separate document library or folders. For Workflow use separate document library

Tarek Yehia

Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Managed Path used if you want create multiple site collection in same web application:

httoL//server/managedpath/sitecoolectionurl

You need to create 2 document library each of them has unique permissions. You can enable workflow on first document library.

For different permissions you can use separate document library or folders. For Workflow use separate document library

Tarek Yehia

So which is better for my scenario - from your experience - If I want to have sites for every department , Intranet.company.com/HR , Intranet.company.com/Legal,, and I can browse them through the main one Intranet.company.com/Home ?
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:30 AM