none
DPM 2010 and 2012 compatibilty

Question

• I currently have a primary DPM 2010 server that has two agents protecting our Hyper-V cluster and a secondary DPM 2010 for DR with one agent protecting the primary (all three CALs are Enterprise).

Since the Hyper-V cluster includes an Exchange and a DC I need two additional agents. I'd like to go with DPM 2012 and get one Enterprise and one Standard for better protection of these VMs (mailbox recovery and System State).

If I install these DPM 2012 agents on these VMs will I be able to manage them from my existing DPM 2010 primary? Any gotchas?

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry, but I am not understanding the senario, but you cannot protect a machine that has a DPM 2012 agent installed using a DPM 2010 server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Mike, that's exactly what I needed to know. Is it possible the other way around? Using a DPM 2012 server and protecting a machine that has a DPM 2010 agent installed?

Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Mike, that's exactly what I needed to know. Is it possible the other way around? Using a DPM 2012 server and protecting a machine that has a DPM 2010 agent installed?

Correct and Visa Versa, I should have mentioned that.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:10 PM
  • That is a shame. So it appears the only option is to either buy additional DPM 2010 licenses or upgrade the existing ones to DPM 2012 and buy a few more 2012 licenses?
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Hey,

so it is not possible to have a primary DPM 2010 and a secondary DPM 2012?

We would like to update our DPM's step for step. First we would like to have a new DPM 2012 as secondary while the primary DPM is still 2010.

Thanks for feedback

Regards Markus

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:03 AM
  • I've previously asked this question and received a reply directly from MS that both the primary and secondary need to be the same version.

I'll extend my previous questions. In what fashion apart from having the ability to view DPM 2010 servers (after applying a hotfix) in a DPM 2012 console are these two products compatible. A point by point on how they can be used in the same environment if at all.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

We will be publishing a DPM 2012 upgrade advisor soon, but in the meantime use the following guidelines.

1) Undo library sharing before the upgrades.
    2) If you have Primary and Secondary protection, upgrade the Secondary DPM server first, followed by the Primary DPM Server.
    3) Once all upgrades are done, re-enable library sharing.

As far as interoperability between versions, it's the same as between DPM 2007 and DPM 2010, no interoperability exists between DPM 2010 and DPM 2012.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Hello together,

is there also something else what we have to take a look at befor we update our DPMs 2010 to DPM 2012?

We have two primary DPM Server running and on secondary DPM Server.

I checked out the following steps:

- Undo library sharing before the upgrades

- First update the 2nd DPM 2010

- Newest QFE for DPM 2010 (QFE from March 2011 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465832

- Newest KB2615782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2615782) – after that restart of DPM Servers and update of all agents

- After successfully installation restart of the DPM Server

Thanks a lot for feedback.

Regards Markus

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:17 AM