How do I install Windows 8 to my HP Touchpad?

Question

• Hi I could not find any information on installing to touchpad, especially those who can only connect to PC thru USB and there is no drive.
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 10:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, well it's quite simple. Put your USB stick in the computer and open CMD via Start Search.

Write as following:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk X  (X stands for the number under witch your stick is listed, you will see it has similar capacity written next to it)
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary
    6. format fs=fat32 quick
    7. activate
    8. exit

Now copy all the Windows 8 files that should be in (eg.) C:\WindowsESD, or wherever you have put them on the stick.

After the files are on the stick, restart the tablet (make sure that you have set USB as first boot source in bios) and start the setup.

Hope it helps.

Windows Desktop Experience - MVP

Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Has anybody confirmed this to work?

Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Well, yes. There is another thread that also covers this, and I've installed both W7 and W8 DP/CP this way...

Windows Desktop Experience - MVP

Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Can you post the link to the other thread?

Thanks.

Friday, March 02, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Can you post the hardware inside the touchpad?

I would guess that it's not compatible with Windows 8.

http://www.hpwebos.com/intl/support/index.html?lang=en&cc=us

The touchpad is all about WebOS

http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/na/touchpad/touchpad/wifi/solutions/template/Problem/39565_en.html

Friday, March 02, 2012 11:31 PM
  • The only question would be the processor, I believe. All other specs seem to be in line.  It is a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-core APQ8060 . Looking forward to seeing a link , I'd love to try the new Win 8 consumer preview on the Touchpad. The webOS is VERY easy to restore if installation is wonky.
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Hi I could not find any information on installing to touchpad, especially those who can only connect to PC thru USB and there is no drive.

There's currently no way to install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview onto the HP Touchpad. That tablet uses an ARM processor. The Windows 8 Consumer Preview won't run on ARM processors.

Silvio_S is correct that you can install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview using a USB Flash Drive; you don't need a DVD.

But whether you install from a DVD or USB drive, the Consumer Preview still requires a computer or tablet that's capable of running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. (Preferably Windows Vista or Windows 7; you won't have the best experience on most Windows XP computers.)

Microsoft posted the system requirements for the Windows 8 Consumer Preview; you're welcome to check them out.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Is the thread on this forum?  Could you post the thread?  I have a couple TouchPad's I am willing to try this on, but want to be sure first

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by jerrypar Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jerrypar Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:46 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 9:21 PM