none
Starting SSIS Package without Debugging

Question

• HellO!

I have installed SQL SERVER 2008 R2 on one PC. When I created a Package in BIDS and run it in debug mode it works perfectly. When I run it in "Start without Debugging" I get an error in the command window which says ""To run a SSIS Package outside of BIDS you must install Standard Edition of Integration Services or higher".

Does anyone have any idea why I can't run this outside of BIDS?

Thanks!
    Mike

Mike Kiser

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:53 PM

All replies

• Which version/edition of SQL Server do you have? And are you using the Data Mining Query Task or one of the following transformations?
    • Data Mining Training Destination
    • Data Mining Query Component
    • Fuzzy Grouping
    • Fuzzy Lookup
    • Term Extraction
    • Term Lookup
    • Dimension Processing Destination
    • Partition Processing Destination

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:01 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

The Version is SQL SERVER 2008 R2 and I am not using any of the tasks which you listed. Any other ideas? This is really causing me problems trying to deploy this. Thanks for the help!

SQL SERVER 10.50.1600
    Mike

Mike Kiser

• Edited by EMKISER Monday, July 01, 2013 2:02 PM change
    Monday, July 01, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Your database Version may be SQL Server 2008 R2, but there is also an "Edition".  You can see your edition by selecting the properties of your server in the Object Explorer treeview of the SQL Server Management Studio.  In the Server Properties window, look at the "Product" line.  It will say something like "Standard Edition" or "Express Edition".

If you are using "Express Edition", you're out of luck.  Look up the "Integration Services" section of the supported features for SQL Server 2008 R2.  The Express Editions won't do what you need because they want to sell you a more expensive edition.

Monday, July 01, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Which Edition? Express, Standard, Enterprise, Developer. See the link or try to execute this in SSMS: Select @@version

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Monday, July 01, 2013 2:30 PM
  • In the Properties box it says

Microsoft SQL SERVER Developer Edition (64bit) (It comes from our MSDN subscription)

When I do the Select @@version it says

Microsoft SQL SERVER 2008 R2 (RTM) 10.50.1600 1 (x64) April 2, 2010

Thanks!
    Mike

Mike Kiser

• Edited by EMKISER Monday, July 01, 2013 3:52 PM change
    Monday, July 01, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Ah, I recognize that one.  Developer Edition will let you do this, the edition is not the problem.  The problem is you're not actually running it on the server.  Instead, it's trying to run it locally.  You likely have Visual Studio and a stub edition of SQL Server Express locally, and that's what is failing.

You need to schedule this as a Job through SQL Server Agent on the server.  To do this, you will need to go through package deployment and configuration.  This is unfortunately necessary.

P.S. Shortcuts to walkthroughs on package deployment and adding config files.

Monday, July 01, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Thank you so so much!! Yes, I am running it locally. Thanksf for all the links . I will work on it right away.

I really apprecaite your assistance!
    Miek

Mike Kiser

Monday, July 01, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I understand the deployment part, but why can I only run it within BIDS in debug mode and not run without debugging?

Thanks
    Mike

Mike Kiser

Monday, July 01, 2013 9:39 PM