none
MDT 2012 winpe reboot loop

Question

• I recently upgraded to MDT 2012. I had an existing working deployment share. After upgrading, when booting to the litetouch iso I get to the "Solution Accelerators" splash screen and it reboots. I created a new deployment share to test and I get the same thing. I've booted to hyper-v and multiple hardware with the same results.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,

-Steve

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:57 AM

Answers

• If the Litetouch.wsf script fails for whatever reason, the WinPE wrapper program should start a cmd.exe process allowing you to debug the issue.

Check the x:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs\bdd.log file to see what it was doing. If necessary, you might want to run the litetouch.wsf script within the cmd.exe process to see where it crashed. Run the following command:

cscript.exe x:\deploy\scripts\litetouch.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

Does it finish, or is there an error? What is the error and line number?

Keith Garner - Microsoft PM

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:49 AM

All replies

• Are you using WAIK or ADK?  Were there any errors when you updated the deployment share and did you optimize or do a complete refresh?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:15 AM
  • So WAIK was already installed from when i was using 2010. I installed ADK when I installed 2012. So they are both installed.  How would I know which I'm using??  Also,  I did a complete refresh on the deployment shares.

Thanks!!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Can you uninstall both and re-install ADK and update deployment share again?  I don't know if having both confuses the machine...

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:39 AM
  • ok so I uninstalled waik and adk and reinstalled adk. Then I did a complete refresh on both deployment shares.  Now I get the cmd window over the solutions accelerators background on the existing share, and the new share still reboots. 
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:04 AM
  • So I started over. I uninstalled mdt2012 deleted my deployment share. I made a backup of the share before upgrade. I restored the backup and reinstalled mdt2012. I opened the "Open deployment share wizard" and pointed to my restored share and selected the upgrade button.  I then completely regenerated that boot images. When I boot on the new ISO it still only boots then opens a command prompt window.  

What did I miss and or screw up????

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:11 PM
  • If the Litetouch.wsf script fails for whatever reason, the WinPE wrapper program should start a cmd.exe process allowing you to debug the issue.

Check the x:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs\bdd.log file to see what it was doing. If necessary, you might want to run the litetouch.wsf script within the cmd.exe process to see where it crashed. Run the following command:

cscript.exe x:\deploy\scripts\litetouch.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

Does it finish, or is there an error? What is the error and line number?

Keith Garner - Microsoft PM

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:49 AM
  • I had the same issue before. Control your customsettings.ini BuildID value. This value should match the value you typed in your Task sequence. Right click your Task Sequence and compare the Task Sequence ID with the customsettings.ini value.
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Update

I've been able to open a case with premier. I got a call back the other day saying that they were able to reproduce the issue and do not have a fix.  It's got something to do with the fact that I had WAIK and MDT 2010 installed and I added ADK then 2012 to that box then removed WAIK.  My obvious workaround is to install MDT2012 and ADK on another box and copy my DS to that. This of course works but I need to run this off of the original production box.  When that come back to me with a documented fix I will post the details. 

• Proposed as answer by Spetroski Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:19 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:19 PM
  • having the same issue seems to have something to do with my extrafiles if i remove them then it works but then i dont have any of my tools i have added

using MDT 2012 U1 with Dart 8 and Winpe 4.0 direct from Windows 8 distribution
    Friday, May 03, 2013 8:25 PM