none
move mailbox from 2007 to 2010 forest

Question

• Hi. We are currently using FIM 2010 to synchronize the gals between a 2010 forest and a 2007 forest.

Soon we would like to move the mailboxes from 2007 to 2010.

I understood that I can create a new mail enabled user in 2010 and using powershell do a new-moverequest to move the mb to the 2010 domain. Apparently I am mistaken :) I have found references to using a powershell script run to have FIM create the user but the only links I find reference ILM 2007. Is there a version that applies to FIM 2010 or am I going about this all wrong? :)

Thanks

Drew

Monday, April 08, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

• Either that, or in some migration scenarios we initially run ADMT first - creating users without any mail attributes, then mail-enable them, then prep and move.  In this scenario Galsync from source to target can be omitted, and used only to provision contacts back to source forest for co-existance period.  Also mail-enabled users created via ADMT appear as cross-forest contacts in this case.

Though without any galsync involved, this becomes off-topic for a FIM-related forum :D

Both approaches are well described here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sam Booka Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:34 PM

All replies

• Since FIM 2010 Synchronization Engine is basically ILM, you should be fine.
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Thanks... trying to sort through the tons of different ways of doing this. So basically...

We have galsync already set up. Mail-enabled users in the source forest are replicated to the target as Contacts.

1)do preparemoverequest.ps1 to prepare the contact to become a mail-enabled user

2)do new-moverequest with legacy switches to move the mailbox

3) use admt to migrate things like sidhistory to the new forest.

Did I get that right?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Either that, or in some migration scenarios we initially run ADMT first - creating users without any mail attributes, then mail-enable them, then prep and move.  In this scenario Galsync from source to target can be omitted, and used only to provision contacts back to source forest for co-existance period.  Also mail-enabled users created via ADMT appear as cross-forest contacts in this case.

Though without any galsync involved, this becomes off-topic for a FIM-related forum :D

Both approaches are well described here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

• Marked as answer by Sam Booka Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Just for closure/reference here is what seemed to work

Galsync does a one way sync from the source to the target forest already, creating a mailenabled contact in the target forest.

Just running the preparemoverequest script fails because it tries to create a user object with the same attribs as the contact

Deleted the contact from the target (Galsync only runs once an hour so I had time) using ADUC. Ok.

Run the preparemoverequest.. seems ok. It complained about the password not being complex enough. Not sure but we can reset passwords. Least of my worries. The user was created in the USERS ou in a disabled state.

Did the new-mailboxmove and it seemed to work ok. Reset the password and was able to log in to OWA.

I could NOT open the mailbox with outlook. For whatever reason, even though I deleted in ADUC and didn't see the old contact it was still in AD and DSRM cleared it out. Outlook opened instantly. Email, contacts and calendar items are there. Mailbox no longer exists on the source server. the user logon name retained the @olddomain (althouth his pre2000 info was correct). Flipped it. So far tests seem to be working ok.

I will migrate a few more test users and if I have anything to add I will update. Thanks for your help Vladimir.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:43 PM